+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario Health Card - Physical Presence Requirement

NFI

Feb 12, 2013
Hello everyone!

I had this question regarding the physical presence requirement in the Ontario Health Card. I am a new immigrant, and applied for the health card - followed all the rules, regulations - and so far it has been smooth sailing upto now.

I understand that during the first 6 months of taking up PR in Ontario, I have to be physically present for 5 months in the state. In my case, I'm into the 3rd month out of those 6 months.

My problem is that due to some unforeseen circumstances, I have to return to my native country for some time, and I believe it would take anywhere in between 1-2 months(i.e., more than the allotted time I can spend outside).

My question is, if I stay outside canada for more than 30 days - what would be the consequences that I would have to face? Would my health coverage be cancelled? Apart from health service, would it affect my PR in any adverse manner?

I have received the health card - and I have read everything on the web regarding this, but I only stumble across the condition that I need to stay 153 days out of the first 183 days I've landed - and no word on the consequence of what would happen if I do not complete those 153 days...

Please let me know soon - as I need to plan accordingly. Many thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
NFI said:
My question is, if I stay outside canada for more than 30 days - what would be the consequences that I would have to face? Would my health coverage be cancelled? Apart from health service, would it affect my PR in any adverse manner?
No affect on PR. You will lose your health care coverage and have to live in Canada for three months again before it is reinstated.

NFI

Feb 12, 2013
Thanks for the reply!

Also - I wished to ask, since I've received the health card, would I have to go to a Service Ontario office after my trip and show them my passport or something?