Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2010
File Transfer...
13-05-2010
Med's Request
29-01-2010
Hi all,

My left eye is pretty useless unless I have a corneal graft done which won't be done anytime soon.
So I've been driving for over 10 years with just my right eye and I use glasses i.e plain glass for the left and some prescription for the right.

What are the rules in ontario about getting a license with 1 eye?

Thanks

cono_sur

Star Member
Feb 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They driver licensing office will make you pass a vision test as you look through a viewfinder using "both" eyes. As far as I know, they do not test the left eye and right eye separately - they test both eyes together.

I don't think you will need to worry about passing the vision test. However, you may want to reconsider driving.

You can always call your local DriveTest Centre to confirm - 1-888-570-6110.

nj123

Mar 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2010
File Transfer...
13-05-2010
Med's Request
29-01-2010
cono_sur said:
They driver licensing office will make you pass a vision test as you look through a viewfinder using "both" eyes. As far as I know, they do not test the left eye and right eye separately - they test both eyes together.

I don't think you will need to worry about passing the vision test. However, you may want to reconsider driving.

You can always call your local DriveTest Centre to confirm - 1-888-570-6110.
Thanks for the info. Should make for an interesting day ;D

Anyway, as for driving, I've discussed this with my opthalmologist who has said that it isn't a problem to drive with one eye but to be careful...

cono_sur

Star Member
Feb 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nj123 said:
Thanks for the info. Should make for an interesting day ;D

Anyway, as for driving, I've discussed this with my opthalmologist who has said that it isn't a problem to drive with one eye but to be careful...
I concur!! Be extra cautious! ;D

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
:D U r funny.

Having only one eye doesn't mean one can not drive at all. It is the experience that counts, I am sure he will be just fine driving around in Toronto, even in Calgary with snow up to his waist!

cono_sur

Star Member
Feb 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CharlotteJ said:
:D U r funny.

Having only one eye doesn't mean one can not drive at all. It is the experience that counts, I am sure he will be just fine driving around in Toronto, even in Calgary with snow up to his waist!
True...it doesn't mean one cannot drive at all. But one must be EXTRA careful. Have you tried walking with one eye closed? :p

It makes me wonder about the drivers in Toronto... many one-eyed drivers?

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
OMG! You are right. ... especially driving on Yonge is such a hassle and at times so dangerious. People, cars, all run through each other and some people from certain cultures do really not care that the way is shared with tens of other people and vehicles and think they own the road!!!!

cono_sur

Star Member
Feb 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CharlotteJ said:
OMG! You are right. ... especially driving on Yonge is such a hassle and at times so dangerious. People, cars, all run through each other and some people from certain cultures do really not care that the way is shared with tens of other people and vehicles and think they own the road!!!!
LOL @ people of certain cultures. I am not surprised that newcomers can see how the driving really is in the city, but there are worse places to drive. :D

So, have you tried to walk on the sidewalk with only one-eye open? :p Let me know how far you get without bumping into anyone. :p