+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario College of Trades

deji200

Sep 1, 2017
Good Day,

Please advise i want to apply for a skill trade certificate ( Ontario College Of Trade) but i have some concerns just to know if am on the right path.
Trade - Network Technician or Network Hardware
Experience - Over 10years as a Network Support Engineer
Degree - B.Eng Electrical
With some Professional Certifications.

So my Questions is do i just apply for an assessment and if they would give me a trade certificate and i need to provide all past employer reference letter or just the current employer would be enough.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good Day,

Please advise i want to apply for a skill trade certificate ( Ontario College Of Trade) but i have some concerns just to know if am on the right path.
Trade - Network Technician or Network Hardware
Experience - Over 10years as a Network Support Engineer
Degree - B.Eng Electrical
With some Professional Certifications.

So my Questions is do i just apply for an assessment and if they would give me a trade certificate and i need to provide all past employer reference letter or just the current employer would be enough.
A network technician isn't classified as a trade. So you will not get any points under EE for having a skilled trade certificate.

Pgill2609

Sep 7, 2019
A network technician isn't classified as a trade. So you will not get any points under EE for having a skilled trade certificate.

Hi if you apply for the skilled trade certificate, as long as it has been approved by Ontario colleges of trades YES you will get the points. I checked with CIC and they is confusion regrading that some trades can apply and others can not. Im a youth worker and have applied, as long as it is approved as a certificate of qualification through ontrio colleges of trades you can apply and claim points. This does not only apply to certain trades, its all trades , a doctor will be applying through this route too dosent mean you have to be a plumber to get this certificate.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi if you apply for the skilled trade certificate, as long as it has been approved by Ontario colleges of trades YES you will get the points. I checked with CIC and they is confusion regrading that some trades can apply and others can not. Im a youth worker and have applied, as long as it is approved as a certificate of qualification through ontrio colleges of trades you can apply and claim points. This does not only apply to certain trades, its all trades , a doctor will be applying through this route too dosent mean you have to be a plumber to get this certificate.
A youth worker is not a skilled trade and should not get a certificate. Think you are getting confused about what a skilled trade means in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can get the certificate - but this will not get you more points in your EE profile. Again, only trades get more points for certificates awarded by provinces. Your occupation is not a trade. A doctor is also not a trade. There is no confusion. The rule is very clear.

Only the following occupations are classified as trades:
  • Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades
  • Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades
  • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
  • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
  • Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks
  • Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers

Pgill2609

Sep 7, 2019
A youth worker is not a skilled trade and should not get a certificate. Think you are getting confused about what a skilled trade means in Canada.[/QUOTE

I’m not all been verified by the college . You are getting confused . Research all done n completed

Pgill2609

Sep 7, 2019
You can get the certificate - but this will not get you more points in your EE profile. Again, only trades get more points for certificates awarded by provinces. Your occupation is not a trade. A doctor is also not a trade. There is no confusion. The rule is very clear.

Only the following occupations are classified as trades:
  • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
  • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
This is the problem with this forum no one is clear -we are not talking about trades we are talking about certificate of qualification which you can get from college of trades . This information you have posted is for those applying under trade stream

deji200

Sep 1, 2017
But if someone gets the certificate and still no additional points on EE, can you still continue your application under the Federal Skill trade, if by virtue of your score in English, Age and Education and Obviously you meet the cut-off point for Skill Trade.

And if i look at the statement below regarding Major NOC Subdivision;
==============================================================================================================
Skilled trades for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are organized under these groups of the National Occupational Classification (NOC):

The major NOC groups are subdivided into different occupations, and they are all skill type B.
===============================================================================================================
Do we have a way to see the list of subdivision of some the NOC in Major Group

Pgill2609

Sep 7, 2019
But if someone gets the certificate and still no additional points on EE, can you still continue your application under the Federal Skill trade, if by virtue of your score in English, Age and Education and Obviously you meet the cut-off point for Skill Trade.

==============================================================================================================
Skilled trades for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are organized under these groups of the National Occupational Classification (NOC):

The major NOC groups are subdivided into different occupations, and they are all skill type B.
===============================================================================================================

So if we are talking about the skill trade, it has to follow under the major groups you have listed and get the licences you need. Trade stream i have no knowledge however if you do research you will get information, they is a reason to why you not getting any points have a look at your profile closely.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

You can only continue your application under Federal Skilled Trade if you have an LMIA support job offer.