+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Online vs. Paper Application?

Ibeforem

Oct 9, 2017
which is the best way to apply for citizenship? Using a paper application or doing it online? Any advantages to either?

RJ2020

Oct 29, 2020
which is the best way to apply for citizenship? Using a paper application or doing it online? Any advantages to either?
Definitely online. I’ve seen several February online applicants who not only have their background verification completed in a few days, but also have received their test invitation in less than 15 days. If I could go back, I would definitely choose online application over paper since it’s significantly faster. You should wait longer to receive AOR. However, when you receive your AOR, your online application process would be a rocket.

Reactions: Maryam2020

purplesky

Sep 5, 2021
BC
Hi there, newbie here, I realize that people with family are currently advised to apply via paper in the portal. Can individual family applicants create separate profiles and apply online as single applicants? If kids are part of the application, do they have to apply paper as they are not 18 along with an adult?

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
According to the document someone shared in different thread ( link below page 39 ) I don't think online application is going to be faster than paper.
on their processing strategy, they will process the paper backlog while processing a small portion of e-application.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SQPJW0MKT3-HkynGtOsnPynhicLjpYTu/view
Thanks for sharing this report. It confirms clearing the almost half a million paper backlog is a priority. Only 5000/5% of e-apps will be granted through March 2022 (in order of application date). As of July 1 2022 (whilst still in 10% trial phase), they had received 12k e-apps. Does this mean that anyone applying online now will be automatically put on hold until a new quota is announced for April 2022 onwards?

Another point worth noting: "processing times have reached 21 months [24 months in some areas] and are expected to continue to increase". If e-apps were given priority, backlog would not be cleared and processing time would increase to "4 years if not longer".

I'm about to submit my online application and am now unsure.

citi01

Sep 12, 2021
Still confused about filing it online or on paper, any fresh advice, guidance everyone ?

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
Any more updates on this? SO paper is best for this month's applicants?
I applied on paper (single). There is no difference but still the online version asks for fewer details and we know for sure IRCC will ask for more details later so I anticipated and provided additional details on the paper. Online is also good, you save $$ on shipping, printing etc. Its personal choice. I prefered paper one.

Reactions: maxkram

SszZTkmZ

Star Member
Aug 29, 2021
Oh! what additional details. I was not aware.

I applied on paper (single). There is no difference but still the online version asks for fewer details and we know for sure IRCC will ask for more details later so I anticipated and provided additional details on the paper. Online is also good, you save $$ on shipping, printing etc. Its personal choice. I prefered paper one.

limhockkiong

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
This is what it says on the website: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply.html

You can only apply on paper if applying as a family or group. See below:

In the future, more people will be able to apply online. We’ll open the online application to the following applicants next:

• Adults (18 years of age and above) applying as a family without minors (under 18 years of age)
  • Minors (under 18 years of age)
  • Adults applying together with minors as a family
  • Applicants applying with a representative(opens in a new tab)
  • Applicants outside Canada who are
If you’re applying as a family or a group, you can only apply on paper(opens in a new tab) for now. You can include all applications in the same envelope.

Maryam2020

Dec 5, 2021
According to the document someone shared in different thread ( link below page 39 ) I don't think online application is going to be faster than paper.
on their processing strategy, they will process the paper backlog while processing a small portion of e-application.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SQPJW0MKT3-HkynGtOsnPynhicLjpYTu/view
What about the new paper applications? Based on what you wrote their focus will be on backlogs and online so the ew paper applications will be ignored.