+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Online sponsorship application and OWP

Hanabee

Star Member
Jun 11, 2020
Hi everyone
I’m applying to sponsor my partner, also his OWP
Since 23rd September all applications must be submitted online.
Before this date, Sponsorship application and OWP can be sent at once by paper
But now, all must be done online.
Can I apply Sponsorship and OWP for my partner online without AOR? His current work permit is expiring I don’t think he has enough time to wait for the AOR then apply for OWP. Which means he has to stop working and wait the AOR?
Any suggestions please? :(
Thanks

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I believe that online applicants must wait until the reach the AOR stage, before submitting the OWP application. He would definitely need to stop working if he doesn't receive AOR and has submitted the OWP, but even then he may not be able to continue working (while waiting for the OWP) depending on the type of WP that he now holds.

Hanabee

Star Member
Jun 11, 2020
I believe that online applicants must wait until the reach the AOR stage, before submitting the OWP application. He would definitely need to stop working if he doesn't receive AOR and has submitted the OWP, but even then he may not be able to continue working (while waiting for the OWP) depending on the type of WP that he now holds.
Thank you Ponga
He is holding PGWP. After submitting OWP, do you think he can continue to work under implied status?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you Ponga
He is holding PGWP. After submitting OWP, do you think he can continue to work under implied status?
Not sure, because there has been much debate (over many years) regarding whether or not a PGWP can benefit from Maintained Status (formerly Implied Status), since a PGWP is generally not extendible. To complicate things further, an OWP needed to be included with the Inland sponsorship (inside the same package). That was what gave a person, with legal status, the Implied Status, extension. Now that the OWP can't be submited until the PA has AOR...not sure if that still translates to having Maintained Status.

He needs to be very careful and should talk with a professional to find out. Most posts here are merely opinions, observations, etc., but working without authorization would not be a good thing! Hopefully he can continue working, but he needs someone with true knowledge to answer that question.

Reactions: canuck78

Hanabee

Star Member
Jun 11, 2020
Thank you
Not sure, because there has been much debate (over many years) regarding whether or not a PGWP can benefit from Maintained Status (formerly Implied Status), since a PGWP is generally not extendible. To complicate things further, an OWP needed to be included with the Inland sponsorship (inside the same package). That was what gave a person, with legal status, the Implied Status, extension. Now that the OWP can't be submited until the PA has AOR...not sure if that still translates to having Maintained Status.

He needs to be very careful and should talk with a professional to find out. Most posts here are merely opinions, observations, etc., but working without authorization would not be a good thing! Hopefully he can continue working, but he needs someone with true knowledge to answer that question.
Thank you Ponga
So I guess the better option now is applying for Visitor visa to remain in Canada and wait for AOR?
then he can submit OWP + restoration of his status? Let’s say we receive the AOR after his current PGWP expired and AOR arrives within 90 days allowance of status restoration?