+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Online Education from outside Canada - Its effect on CRS points for Canadian degree/diploma/certificate

Vikrant15

Jul 26, 2017
Hello members,

I am in a complicated situation here and cannot seem to find a definite answer anywhere from a reliable source.

I got admission to a college in Toronto for a 8 month graduate certificate program for Sep 2020, 50% of which will be delivered online due to COVID19 measures, and I can stay in my home country to complete this online part of first Semester. Then I can come to Canada to finish the 2nd Semester.

Now I know that I can still be eligible for PGWP (work permit) under this situation, but my question is that will this online education be counted towards claiming CRS points in the Canadian education criteria under the following section?

4b) Have you earned a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate?
Note: to answer yes:

• English or French as a Second Language must not have made up more than half your study
  • you must not have studied under an award that required you to return to your home country after graduation to apply your skills and knowledge
  • you must have studied at a school within Canada (foreign campuses don’t count)
  • you had to be enrolled full time for at least eight months, and have been physically present in Canada for at least eight months
I know as per the last requirement, one has to be physically present in Canada for 8 months, but given the current situation where all colleges are closed and offering online courses by following government orders. Has there been any communication or notice that this requirement will be waived off temporarily? As my main goal is to claim CRS points for this education and not apply for PGWP, should I wait until things get clear and take admission in Jan 2021 or will this education with online part attached count towards my CRS points in Express Entry?

Thank you so much for reading this long post and I would be glad to receive your comments...

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
If the education qualifies for a PGWP, it will be counted toward Canadian education.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors-foreign-workers-students.html

Online courses won’t affect your PGWPP eligibility

If your in-class courses are being moved to an online-only format because of COVID-19, you’re still eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP).

If you have a study permit, or been approved for a study permit for a program starting in the spring, summer or fall, but you can’t travel to Canada at this time due to travel restrictions, you’re also still eligible for the PGWPP.

If you’re in this situation, you may

• begin your classes while outside Canada, and
  • complete up to 50% of your program while outside Canada, if you can’t travel to Canada sooner.
If you start your studies in fall 2020, you won’t have time deducted from the length of your post-graduation work permit for studies you complete while outside Canada between fall 2020 and December 31, 2020.

willdean

Jun 14, 2020
If the education qualifies for a PGWP, it will be counted toward Canadian education.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors-foreign-workers-students.html

Online courses won’t affect your PGWPP eligibility

If your in-class courses are being moved to an online-only format because of COVID-19, you’re still eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP).

If you have a study permit, or been approved for a study permit for a program starting in the spring, summer or fall, but you can’t travel to Canada at this time due to travel restrictions, you’re also still eligible for the PGWPP.

If you’re in this situation, you may

• begin your classes while outside Canada, and
  • complete up to 50% of your program while outside Canada, if you can’t travel to Canada sooner.
If you start your studies in fall 2020, you won’t have time deducted from the length of your post-graduation work permit for studies you complete while outside Canada between fall 2020 and December 31, 2020.
I've been looking for this info. It's nice to find this thread.

Daniel_shiwo

Sep 5, 2020
This is about PGWP it doesn`t directly says that you can claim education points in CRS. Aren`t these two different concepts?

look at this link from IRCC twitter - it says "Hi. If your in-class courses are being moved to an online-only format because of COVID-19, this won’t affect your Express Entry eligibility and the CRS points you may claim for your education. " but I haven`t seen an official announcement on Canada website.
It's different concept. IRCC highlights the points for edu degree, not 30 points for "study in Canada" ....

Mann22

May 27, 2018
Will students already doing Masters in Canada since Spring 2020 be able to claim CRS points in Express Entry for Canadian Education Credential as more than 50% of their in-class courses were moved online due to COVID-19 Health Restrictions?
Kindly Reply

Iksameera

May 13, 2017
Hi,
currently I am working in Canada with LMIA work permit. some colleges accept my work permit and I can do studies online with out applying a study permit.
If I complete On line course more than 06 months.
can I claim that for CRS points? will IRCC will accept that?

aditya1101

Mar 2, 2021
Hello members,

I am in a complicated situation here and cannot seem to find a definite answer anywhere from a reliable source.

I got admission to a college in Toronto for a 8 month graduate certificate program for Sep 2020, 50% of which will be delivered online due to COVID19 measures, and I can stay in my home country to complete this online part of first Semester. Then I can come to Canada to finish the 2nd Semester.

Now I know that I can still be eligible for PGWP (work permit) under this situation, but my question is that will this online education be counted towards claiming CRS points in the Canadian education criteria under the following section?

• English or French as a Second Language must not have made up more than half your study
  • you must not have studied under an award that required you to return to your home country after graduation to apply your skills and knowledge
  • you must have studied at a school within Canada (foreign campuses don’t count)
  • you had to be enrolled full time for at least eight months, and have been physically present in Canada for at least eight months
I know as per the last requirement, one has to be physically present in Canada for 8 months, but given the current situation where all colleges are closed and offering online courses by following government orders. Has there been any communication or notice that this requirement will be waived off temporarily? As my main goal is to claim CRS points for this education and not apply for PGWP, should I wait until things get clear and take admission in Jan 2021 or will this education with online part attached count towards my CRS points in Express Entry?

Thank you so much for reading this long post and I would be glad to receive your comments...
Hey Vikrant
I am also in the same situation. Did you find any answer to this question?

Saba@07

Jul 20, 2021
Hey Vikrant
I am also in the same situation. Did you find any answer to this question?
Hello members,

Please let me also know, did you get answer to your question as I am also in same dilemma

Sophie2021

Sep 14, 2020
Hello members,

Hi, I am in the same situation, have you found the answer? Hope that you graduated and can claim Canadian Degree point.