Star Member
Apr 30, 2018
Punjab
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Jalandhar
NOC Code......
My sister have an offer letter from Humber for Sep,2020 and she received an email from the college stating that her first semester will entirely be online.
Can online classes be taken from India? She hasn’t applied for her visa yet. Does she need to file her visa or she proceeds to take her classes online from India itself?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
My sister have an offer letter from Humber for Sep,2020 and she received an email from the college stating that her first semester will entirely be online.
Can online classes be taken from India? She hasn’t applied for her visa yet. Does she need to file her visa or she proceeds to take her classes online from India itself?
Others can comment as well given this scenario is still evolving but as I understand it she would still need to apply for a study permit and pay any fees. The initial classes would be online from basically anywhere so if she decided to travel to Canada that would be fine but if not then from India I am assuming would be fine also.

Travel to Canada is anyway currently restricted to permit holders approved March 18 or earlier but expect that will change when new guidance is issued possibly sometime this month, June

As said this is still very much a grey area and this is just my interpretation so maybe others have better information about the logistics of applying for a study permit but not being in Canada for 9/2020 even for online attendance. Would expect the college to clearly state what is acceptable though.

Note the attached link only refers out to end June currently so new government guidance is likely for courses starting 9/2020 although probably would still assume study permit application needs to be made for 9/2020 even if online attendance.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/study-permit.html

Last edited:

Simmidas

Mar 19, 2019
Your sister would be needing a study permit to attend online classes. This is applicable only till Sep 2020 term. Govt has not decided yet for Jan 2021 term, hence it could be online from home country or one needs to travel to Canada.
Whatever the case is, study permit is needed.

Yash1995

Apr 13, 2020
Your sister must have a study permit accepted for studying in Canada so basically she will have to go through the visa process n application once approval is given she can study online/in class.. we have applied for visa since February yet no response