+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Online citizenship test completed, waiting for next steps

marika89

Star Member
Apr 26, 2021
As mentioned in other responses, once you take the oath, your PR card will no longer be valid as you will be asked to cut it infront of the officer so you wont be able to enter canada unless you have the canadian passport.
I have to ask if this is real thing that can not enter to Canada without the canadian passport after the oath and gettingthe citizenship? Is there something I have missed..because I have never needed a Canadian passport (or pr or visa either) when I have came to Canada. My current passport works just fine when traveling?

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I have to ask if this is real thing that can not enter to Canada without the canadian passport after the oath and gettingthe citizenship? Is there something I have missed..because I have never needed a Canadian passport (or pr or visa either) when I have came to Canada. My current passport works just fine when traveling?
I am not sure about visa-exempt passports, but for all other passports you must have a valid PR card to be boarded to a plane, and will need it to enter Canada at the entry point (airport). So, yes, after the oath, you will need a Canadian passport to enter Canada by air, because you no longer will have PR status/card.

Reactions: mhd10
Oct 30, 2021
Most likely that your non-CA nationality might have a visa free agreement with Du Canada otherwise you do need a valid CA.gov document such as a CA passport/pr card/travel doc/visa to enter

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Most likely that your non-CA nationality might have a visa free agreement with Du Canada otherwise you do need a valid CA.gov document such as a CA passport/pr card/travel doc/visa to enter
It seems even if they are from a visa-exempt country, they still need a valid PR card/passport to enter Canada.

ymatsakova

Oct 29, 2021
"Orlaith, post: 9784146, member: 484531"]
Did anyone take their test without getting and email? I did and a week has passed but my status online is still saying waiting on you to take the test. Does anyone have a similar experience? Thanks,
I'm in the same situation. Didn't receive an invitation, took the test using a generic link from the cic website. Two weeks passed and my application status is still "waiting for test results".
I just called CIC and they said they will contact the Sydney case processing center regarding to my application. However, I will have to re-take the test as I must use the link from the invitation they never sent me to take the test.

Last edited:

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I'm in the same situation. Didn't receive an invitation, took the test using a generic link from the cic website. Two weeks passed and my application status is still "waiting for test results".
I just called CIC and they said they will contact the Sydney case processing center regarding to my application. However, I will have to re-take the test as I must use the link from the invitation they never sent me to take the test.
The told you have to retake it?

RS1989

Dec 8, 2020
Hello all. My husband and I took the test on June 22nd and we both passed. All items in the online tracker have been "completed" since July 27, but we haven't received the invitation for the oath ceremony yet. I submitted a web form, but got the template response saying our app is in progress. It's now been almost 5 months of waiting for the ceremony. Our app is pretty straightforward, so I don't get the delay. Also, our PR cards expired in July and we didn't extend them as we were hoping we'd have our passports within a month or two from the test. Is anyone in the same boat?
Same! I took test April 28, everything was completed june30th. Nothing since then :(

arsal385

Oct 13, 2012
Passed the test on 26th October but status hasnt been updated to "Completed" on online tracker. Any reason why??

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Why would people do that?
Because they saw the validity period of the test on the new tracker, but haven't received an invitation. They don't need the invitation actually. All they need is already available. I am not sure who to blame in this case. IRCC implemented a new system that looks fancy, yet it's faulty. I suspect IRCC personnel don't know how to use it, or to keep track of things. Someone was scheduled for the oath in the new tracker, and didn't receive the invitation on time, and had to reschedule. It's not uncommon with IRCC.