+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Online Citizenship application- Tax 2023

joe9kah

Dec 20, 2015
I am currently filing details for my citizenship application online.

As it requires 5 years of tax information,
What should I mention for the question :

Did you file tax for 2023 ?
Yes or No ?

For years 2019 to 2022 , I have said yes as I have filed my taxes for previous years.

I am asking because I will be submitting my tax return in March as we can’t submit it right now ( its too early ) and this answer is required.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I am currently filing details for my citizenship application online.

As it requires 5 years of tax information,
What should I mention for the question :

Did you file tax for 2023 ?
Yes or No ?

For years 2019 to 2022 , I have said yes as I have filed my taxes for previous years.

I am asking because I will be submitting my tax return in March as we can’t submit it right now ( its too early ) and this answer is required.
No as you will do it later.

joe9kah

Dec 20, 2015
No as you will do it later.
then next question that opens under it is “were you required to fill your taxes for 2023” ?
Yes or No ?

What kind of question is that?

What do you say about this? This question does not make sense. It does not ask “will you fill it later”, it asks as if I was supposed to fill it but never did that’s why I am hesitant to select “No” in the first place because I will fill my taxes in a month or so when I get my T4s

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
then next question that opens under it is “were you required to fill your taxes for 2023” ?
Yes or No ?

What kind of question is that?

What do you say about this? This question does not make sense. It does not ask “will you fill it later”, it asks as if I was supposed to fill it but never did that’s why I am hesitant to select “No” in the first place because I will fill my taxes in a month or so when I get my T4s
The answer for it is Yes.

You are required to file (Yes) but have you done it(No) as things needed to file returns are still not ready for you.

IRCC can always check with CRA later that you indeed did file the taxes for 2023.

joe9kah

Dec 20, 2015
The answer for it is Yes.

You are required to file (Yes) but have you done it(No) as things needed to file returns are still not ready for you.

IRCC can always check with CRA later that you indeed did file the taxes for 2023.
If it was “ Are you required to file ? “ , then it made sense to answer “yes” but the question is “were you required to file ?” which could imply that I did not file the taxes when I was supposed to file.

IRCC can always check, yes, that’s why they ask for SIN. So, why don’t I just say “ Yes “ to the initial question “ Did you file your taxes for 2023 “ ? I will be filing it. IRCC would know anyway when they check.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
If it was “ Are you required to file ? “ , then it made sense to answer “yes” but the question is “were you required to file ?” which could imply that I did not file the taxes when I was supposed to file.

IRCC can always check, yes, that’s why they ask for SIN. So, why don’t I just say “ Yes “ to the initial question “ Did you file your taxes for 2023 “ ? I will be filing it. IRCC would know anyway when they check.
How can you say "Yes" to an activity without actually doing it ?
At this moment you have not filed your tax for 2023, you would do it in the future but you submitting the citizenship application now.

joe9kah

Dec 20, 2015
How can you say "Yes" to an activity without actually doing it ?
At this moment you have not filed your tax for 2023, you would do it in the future but you submitting the citizenship application now.
Okay, then should we attach a letter providing clarification?