+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

One Year Window (OYW)

samerphilip

Jul 11, 2017
I am new in Canada, I am here under the One Year Window. My wife (who is refugee and PR in Canada) made me a sponsorship under that window to bring from Iraq where I was living. Now I want to go back to Iraq because I have a work there and I haven't got a job here. I bought a ticket but I am confused as heard that I could loose my status as PR in Canada. If I will not go back I will loose my job in Iraq too. So please could any one advise what should I do?
Also I am thinking if I loose my PR status in Canada can my wife reapply for me (after she have got a citizenship) for a family sponsorship?
Thank you in advance for anyone could help me.

Desaiz

Star Member
Jul 4, 2018
I am new in Canada, I am here under the One Year Window. My wife (who is refugee and PR in Canada) made me a sponsorship under that window to bring from Iraq where I was living. Now I want to go back to Iraq because I have a work there and I haven't got a job here. I bought a ticket but I am confused as heard that I could loose my status as PR in Canada. If I will not go back I will loose my job in Iraq too. So please could any one advise what should I do?
Also I am thinking if I loose my PR status in Canada can my wife reapply for me (after she have got a citizenship) for a family sponsorship?
Thank you in advance for anyone could help me.
If you go to Iraq you will not be allowed back into Canada since you have a refugee status in Canada. The immigration office will not allow you to re-enter as you came to Canada stating you are not safe in your home country and seeker asylum so the office will ask why did you go back. Don’t take this risk my friend’s boyfriend did the same (he was from turkey) now he is stuck there since 2 years.

samerphilip

Jul 11, 2017
If you go to Iraq you will not be allowed back into Canada since you have a refugee status in Canada. The immigration office will not allow you to re-enter as you came to Canada stating you are not safe in your home country and seeker asylum so the office will ask why did you go back. Don’t take this risk my friend’s boyfriend did the same (he was from turkey) now he is stuck there since 2 years.

Curiousmind04

Oct 17, 2017
H
His wife is a refugee who added him to her application as dependent. That doesn’t make him a refugee and he isn’t
Thank you for your reply. I came directly from Iraq how could be a refugee and come directly from Iraq?
he is incorrect “The family member of a protected person in Canada is not automatically a protected person and is not accorded the same protection as a protected person once in Canada. Family members need to be determined as protected persons in their own right to gain that status.”

When you came to Canada from my knowledge you are her dependent not a REFUGEE. So a dependent going back home would not affect his/her status from the many documents I’ve read about dependents of Refugee. She however can lose her PRif she travels back there.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
H

His wife is a refugee who added him to her application as dependent. That doesn’t make him a refugee and he isn’t

he is incorrect “The family member of a protected person in Canada is not automatically a protected person and is not accorded the same protection as a protected person once in Canada. Family members need to be determined as protected persons in their own right to gain that status.”

When you came to Canada from my knowledge you are her dependent not a REFUGEE. So a dependent going back home would not affect his/her status from the many documents I’ve read about dependents of Refugee. She however can lose her PRif she travels back there.
Agreed with the above. Since the OP is a dependent rather than the primary applicant, he is free to return to his home country. As said above, his wife however cannot return.

Reactions: Curiousmind04

Desaiz

Star Member
Jul 4, 2018
Sorry maybe I was wrong then because I saw a case of my friend who’se boyfriend returned back to turkey and couldn’t come back. Maybe he was a refugee. I don’t want to misguide you by anyway but don’t take the risk (if it’s not worth)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sorry maybe I was wrong then because I saw a case of my friend who’se boyfriend returned back to turkey and couldn’t come back. Maybe he was a refugee. I don’t want to misguide you by anyway but don’t take the risk (if it’s not worth)
It's because he was the refugee claimant (i.e. the primary applicant). Different rules for dependents.

samerphilip

Jul 11, 2017
Thank you for every body for their kind reply. Just I would mention they have written on my landing paper CRS (convention refugee status) but that also written on all family members landing papers. Does that mean all have the same rights? How could one know his rights and his exact status?

Curiousmind04

Oct 17, 2017
Thank you for every body for their kind reply. Just I would mention they have written on my landing paper CRS (convention refugee status) but that also written on all family members landing papers. Does that mean all have the same rights? How could one know his rights and his exact status?
I’m guessing CRS- is Convention refugee Spouse instead of Status but I’m subjected to correction. The following are the categories I’m familiar with:
Refugee application class
  • BSR: Blended Sponsorship Refugee
  • CR: Convention Refugee
  • DR: Dependant of REF-CDA residing abroad and in Canada and who have not been deemed to be a Convention refugee in his/her own right
  • DR2: Dependant of CR8 refugee claimant who resides abroad and who has not deemed to be a Convention refugee in his/her own right
  • RA: Country of Asylum
  • REF-CDA: In-Canada Refugee and Protected Persons
  • REF-OVS: Refugee Overseas
  • RS: Source Country
  • REF-CLM: Refugee Claim
  • Other application class
    • DPO: Dependant residing abroad of a member of the in Canada H&C and TRP class – Admissibility
    • PD2: Dependant of a member of the post-determination refugee claimant in Canada class residing abroad
    • PP1: Public Policy Processing – application under A25(1) based on public policy processed in accordance with ministerial guidelines
    • RM2: Dependant residing abroad of a member of the deferred removal class
    In that Case “CRS” you should look into that before deciding to travel. If you know for a fact that, CRS is Convention Refugee Status then you should know you are a refugee and cannot return to your country for work nor play!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
This is what I have found, but I'm not sure that it makes sense.

https://www.rstp.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/41acronyms.pdf

CIC Coding for Resettlement Categories
CONVENTION REFUGEE ABROAD CLASS
R1 Convention refugee abroad, government assistance required for up to 12
months
CR4 Convention refugee abroad, self-supporting, government assistance not required
CR5 Convention refugee abroad, special needs case selected under Joint Assistance
Sponsorship
CRC Convention refugee abroad, with a community sponsorship
CRS Convention refugee abroad, sponsored by a SAH
CRG Convention refugee abroad, sponsored by a group of five

Curiousmind04

Oct 17, 2017
This is what I have found, but I'm not sure that it makes sense.

https://www.rstp.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/41acronyms.pdf

CIC Coding for Resettlement Categories
CONVENTION REFUGEE ABROAD CLASS
R1 Convention refugee abroad, government assistance required for up to 12
months
CR4 Convention refugee abroad, self-supporting, government assistance not required
CR5 Convention refugee abroad, special needs case selected under Joint Assistance
Sponsorship
CRC Convention refugee abroad, with a community sponsorship
CRS Convention refugee abroad, sponsored by a SAH
CRG Convention refugee abroad, sponsored by a group of five
This makes a lot of sense, thank you I wasn’t aware of these categories. So in this case he should not return to his country for work because he is considered a Convention Refugee .
Samerphilip- please do not take the chance of returning home for work because you would be deemed as re-availing yourself to the protection of your country and you would lose your Permanent residency. Right now you have to weigh and determine if your work means more than your Protection/Safety.