+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

One-Year Window (OYW)

UNHCR

Oct 13, 2015
Greetings every one...
We are an iraqi family currently living in lebanon as refugees and soon to land in canada.
All of us are above 18 (2 boys- 1 girl) with my mother,however,my father still living in iraq.
We got sponsored from some one in canada and i included my father in the generic form IMM 0008 with my mother including all other required forms.
So when we arrive into canada we have to sponsor him during the one year period.
My question is,is it possible for my father to apply from iraq through the canadian embassy in baghdad without flying to another country?? Since my dad is a little bit old and can not live or work in other country by himself.
Thanks in advance

OYW

Oct 28, 2016
Greetings every one...
We are an iraqi family currently living in lebanon as refugees and soon to land in canada.
All of us are above 18 (2 boys- 1 girl) with my mother,however,my father still living in iraq.
We got sponsored from some one in canada and i included my father in the generic form IMM 0008 with my mother including all other required forms.
So when we arrive into canada we have to sponsor him during the one year period.
My question is,is it possible for my father to apply from iraq through the canadian embassy in baghdad without flying to another country?? Since my dad is a little bit old and can not live or work in other country by himself.
Thanks in advance
Hi,

I came to Canada through One Year Window program, so I am telling you this won't be a problem based on my own experience.
You just have to resettle in Canada, and after you got your PR card (within 90 days of your landing), you will apply for the imigrant visa of the non-accompanying family members.
Then you will receive a letter indicating that your non-accompanying family member must fill out a few forms and send it to the embassy. while he is still living in the country that he is seeking asylum from. After he sent out the forms, within 6 months the embassy will ask for more documents and also the medical test which he also can deal with from the country he is living in. after 3-6 months the embassy will ask your father to come and collect his visa at the embassy.

Please note that the status of your father would be regarded as a refugee. No one told me this and this brought so many hardships for me and my family.
Don't forget that your father as a refugee cannot travel back to his country after landing in Canada even for a short visit as it would put his permanent residency at risk.Please make sure that he is aware of this.

the whole process would take less than a year and he can still live in Iraq until the time he must collect his Visa.
Don't worry, it's a pretty straight forward procedure and your father would reunite with you soon.

I wish you the best of luck.

UNHCR

Oct 13, 2015
Hi,

I came to Canada through One Year Window program, so I am telling you this won't be a problem based on my own experience.
You just have to resettle in Canada, and after you got your PR card (within 90 days of your landing), you will apply for the imigrant visa of the non-accompanying family members.
Then you will receive a letter indicating that your non-accompanying family member must fill out a few forms and send it to the embassy. while he is still living in the country that he is seeking asylum from. After he sent out the forms, within 6 months the embassy will ask for more documents and also the medical test which he also can deal with from the country he is living in. after 3-6 months the embassy will ask your father to come and collect his visa at the embassy.

Please note that the status of your father would be regarded as a refugee. No one told me this and this brought so many hardships for me and my family.
Don't forget that your father as a refugee cannot travel back to his country after landing in Canada even for a short visit as it would put his permanent residency at risk.Please make sure that he is aware of this.

the whole process would take less than a year and he can still live in Iraq until the time he must collect his Visa.
Don't worry, it's a pretty straight forward procedure and your father would reunite with you soon.

I wish you the best of luck.
Ohh my god thank you sir very much you were a great help dont know how to thank you and appreciate you....God bless you and your family.Peace