One Year vs 2 Year Masters - CEC

chopsumbongw

Aug 31, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I'm Austin from India, I was born and raised in the Middle East and am currently planning to do my masters.
From my research, I find Canada to be the most affordable and it has a fairly open stance on students who like to continue to live in Canada.

But a midst all the excitement there are a few ambiguities.

Firstly from what I have read to you get a PGWPP if you have studied in Canada for a minimum of 8 Months. You would get the work Permit for the same duration as the course.

In light of that most affordable institutes have either a 1 year Program or a 16-18 Months Program for MBA. Now here is my contention, If I take a 1 year course and get a PGWPP for the same duration of 1 year. There is no guarantee I would get a job as soon as I finish my course. It may take a month or two at the very least. How do I complete the pre-requisite 1 year of experience to apply for the CEC.

Secondly in case I opt for the longer program (18 Months) and complete a year of experience and apply for CEC. The average time for processing the CEC as stated on Canadian Immigration Website is 13 months. So it would be technically impossible for me to stay in Canada till my CEC visa is processed.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to extend the visa? I would prefer to take up the 1 year program as it is cheaper and I am funding my MBA by myself.

Thank you for any and all information.

It is truly awesome that we have a community like this to help future prospective students.

Thanks,
Austin

biagio_r

Aug 16, 2014
chopsumbongw said:
Hi,

I'm Austin from India, I was born and raised in the Middle East and am currently planning to do my masters.
From my research, I find Canada to be the most affordable and it has a fairly open stance on students who like to continue to live in Canada.

But a midst all the excitement there are a few ambiguities.

Firstly from what I have read to you get a PGWPP if you have studied in Canada for a minimum of 8 Months. You would get the work Permit for the same duration as the course.

In light of that most affordable institutes have either a 1 year Program or a 16-18 Months Program for MBA. Now here is my contention, If I take a 1 year course and get a PGWPP for the same duration of 1 year. There is no guarantee I would get a job as soon as I finish my course. It may take a month or two at the very least. How do I complete the pre-requisite 1 year of experience to apply for the CEC.

Secondly in case I opt for the longer program (18 Months) and complete a year of experience and apply for CEC. The average time for processing the CEC as stated on Canadian Immigration Website is 13 months. So it would be technically impossible for me to stay in Canada till my CEC visa is processed.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to extend the visa? I would prefer to take up the 1 year program as it is cheaper and I am funding my MBA by myself.

Thank you for any and all information.

It is truly awesome that we have a community like this to help future prospective students.

Thanks,
Austin
2 years study will get you 3 years PGWP.

chopsumbongw

Aug 31, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I am aware of that but the fact remains that most MBA take less than one year to complete 16-20 months at the very most. Do they count as a two year program?

Also my interest is in the one year plan as it becomes more affordable. Thought the difference in fees is usually around $15,000 for the two year program, when you add the cost of living it goes up by a staggering $30,000.

I want to know what the rest of you are doing. As i am sure many of you would have preferred the 1 year MBA for the same reasons as myself.

Thanks.

maniac2403

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-11-2013
Doc's Request.
29-05-2014
AOR Received.
27-12-2013
IELTS Request
Provided with application
File Transfer...
04-06-2014 (ECAS In Process)
Med's Request
10-06-2014
Med's Done....
11-06-2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
20-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
27-06-2014 (Visa stamp) 9-07-2014 (Passport Received)
LANDED..........
10-07-2014
chopsumbongw said:
Hi,

I am aware of that but the fact remains that most MBA take less than one year to complete 16-20 months at the very most. Do they count as a two year program?

Also my interest is in the one year plan as it becomes more affordable. Thought the difference in fees is usually around $15,000 for the two year program, when you add the cost of living it goes up by a staggering $30,000.

I want to know what the rest of you are doing. As i am sure many of you would have preferred the 1 year MBA for the same reasons as myself.

Thanks.
If your aim is to immigrate via PGWP and then CEC, a two year program is better. Actual study might be 16 months but breaks in between school terms are counted. 2 year program does not mean 24 months of studies, just that one was enrolled in a school for 2 years study period.

In a one year program one has to look at LMIA or PNP for immigration. As you pointed out correctly it is not always possible to work for a year for CEC.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Agreed. If your aim is PR - 2 year MBA is much better.

chopsumbongw

Aug 31, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

A big thank you to @maniac2403 and @scylla
I suppose it would be the logical approach to take up a 2 year program.

Further a few Universities like Laurier University offer 1 year MBA and a 20 month MBA with Co-op
The schedule as per the website is:

Term 1 & Integrated Core: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. & 4:30 p.m.
Term 2 & Paid work term
Term 3 & Elective courses offered 8:30 a.m. & 9:50 p.m.
Term 4 & Paid work term
Term 5 – Elective courses offered 8:30 a.m. & 9:50 p.m.

Now would this 20 Month with Co-op qualify as a 2 Year MBA?

Thank you once again.

maniac2403

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-11-2013
Doc's Request.
29-05-2014
AOR Received.
27-12-2013
IELTS Request
Provided with application
File Transfer...
04-06-2014 (ECAS In Process)
Med's Request
10-06-2014
Med's Done....
11-06-2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
20-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
27-06-2014 (Visa stamp) 9-07-2014 (Passport Received)
LANDED..........
10-07-2014
chopsumbongw said:
Hi,

A big thank you to @ maniac2403 and @ scylla
I suppose it would be the logical approach to take up a 2 year program.

Further a few Universities like Laurier University offer 1 year MBA and a 20 month MBA with Co-op
The schedule as per the website is:

Term 1 & Integrated Core: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. & 4:30 p.m.
Term 2 & Paid work term
Term 3 & Elective courses offered 8:30 a.m. & 9:50 p.m.
Term 4 & Paid work term
Term 5 – Elective courses offered 8:30 a.m. & 9:50 p.m.

Now would this 20 Month with Co-op qualify as a 2 Year MBA?

Thank you once again.
As per CIC, two semesters is counted as a year of education. From the above, since the program offers three full term semesters, you will get a 1.5 years PGWP, since this is less than 2 years but above eight months.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
chopsumbongw said:

That is correct, there is no guarantee that you will be able to acquire 1 year of SKILLED work experience in that time. For you to extend your work permit, you would have to have an employer willing to apply for a "Labour Market Impact Assessment" (LMIA), and if approved, you would be able to get a new work permit.

That is also correct, unless you were able to extend your work permit (or change to a visitor visa). There is no requirement under the CEC class that you remain in Canada during processing. However, there is also something called a Bridging Open Work Permit that allows you to extend your valid work permit if you have applied for permanent residence and met certain conditions.

One thing to be aware of is that immigration opportunities and rules are not static, they do change, and will change before you would be ready to apply, so these rules may not be the same by the time you are ready to apply...

Vaishali Sehgal

Star Member
Dec 31, 2018
Guys need help ....pls suggest me wht should i do....at norquest clg i applied for 1 year program nd received offer letter today ....i have also applied to sheridan clg for 2 year prpgram ..my agent asked me to Go for 1 year program nd after that u can extend ur ur visa ....nd pursue studies in canada for 2 year ...what should i do ...... Wait for sheridan or go for this