+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

one-year pilot OWP for spouses and common-law partners

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MrJanevski said:
Hello guys I am very happy that I found this helpful forum. I hope that someone can help me. This is my situation:

I came here as visitor in December 2014, because my boyfriend is from Canada. I got married with him and we applied for spousal sponsor application few days before my visitor visa expired. The problem is that I forgot to applied in same time for OWP when I sent papers in Mississauga.

Now I want to start my OWP application process in Vegreville, AB, but I am not sure that I am eligible, because my status is now on WAITING. My visitor visa is expired. I have only marriage certificate. If anyone had a similar problem like this?
You are not eligible because you are now without status. It's too late to apply to restore your status now.

If you had included the OWP with the Inland sponsorship application, and both had been received before your visitor visa expired, you would have had `implied status'. You must now wait until you have AIP (which would be ~ early next year) before you can submit the OWP.

MrJanevski

Jul 13, 2015
NorthDakota22 said:
I just spoke to a very nice and helpful CIC call centre agent (for once!) and what Ponga said is absolutely correct. My partner and I are in a situation without status: she had status when she applied, but didn't maintain it through a visitor visa and didn't submit an OWP with the sponsorship application. The agent I talked to confirmed that:

1. If you have a work permit when you applied, and submitted an OWP with your application you would still have implied status even if your work permit expired, and would be eligible for the new program.

2. If you didn't submit an OWP when you applied, and fell out of status during the wait, but you have been out of status for LESS than 3 months, you can still apply to restore your status then submit an OWP with the new program.

3. If you didn't submit an OWP when you applied, and fell out of status during the wait, and have been out of status for MORE than 3 months, you are not eligible and have to wait for AIP.

I am very happy for many others, but also so disappointed that my partner and I aren't eligible. My heart goes out to everyone else in the same boat as us! The only consolation that the agent gave me is that the processing of the new OWPs will NOT slow down first stage processing of sponsorship, because AIPs are processed in Mississauga and OWPs are processed in Vegreville. At least for us people without status, it looks like the status quo rather than an even slower process!

What about this? Can I apply to restore my status now? I am still less than 3 months ( for 17 days will be 3 months).

oceanlove

Jul 3, 2015
Hi everyone, I have just started reading this forum not long ago, it is very, very helpful :) I read through this topic and did not see anyone asking this question. We are pereparing our inland application and are planning to apply for OWP together with PR application under one-year pilot program. I just have a few questions that I thought someone would be able to help me with:

1. Do I send the forms for OWP the same as for the regular work permit for outside of Canada? I searched CIC's website and found only forms for applying from outside of Canada, nothing about forms for pilot program.

2. If so, which country do I choose for document package? - Canada (since I will be applying from Canada) or the country of my origin?

3. Since I am not applying for work permit from outside of Canada and don't have a job offer, LMIA and nomination letter, what do I do about those requirements?

4. It also requires proof of funds - can I include my husband's bank statement?

I would really appriciate your input as I am not sure what to do regarding this application. Thanks so much :D

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
oceanlove said:
Hi everyone, I have just started reading this forum not long ago, it is very, very helpful :) I read through this topic and did not see anyone asking this question. We are pereparing our inland application and are planning to apply for OWP together with PR application under one-year pilot program. I just have a few questions that I thought someone would be able to help me with:

1. Do I send the forms for OWP the same as for the regular work permit for outside of Canada? I searched CIC's website and found only forms for applying from outside of Canada, nothing about forms for pilot program.

2. If so, which country do I choose for document package? - Canada (since I will be applying from Canada) or the country of my origin?

3. Since I am not applying for work permit from outside of Canada and don't have a job offer, LMIA and nomination letter, what do I do about those requirements?

4. It also requires proof of funds - can I include my husband's bank statement?

I would really appriciate your input as I am not sure what to do regarding this application. Thanks so much :D
1. Use form IMM 5710. The total amount for this OWP is $255 ($155 + $100)

2. You must submit an INLAND application to be eligible for the OWP, which means the `In-Canada sponsorship' application package. It's possible that applying Outland (even though you are in Canada) would be faster, but you would not be eligible for the OWP. Do you want/need to work soon, or do you want to have your PR soon?

3. N/A, because the pilot OWP is issued solely because you are submitting an Inland application.

4. Same as #3.

Good luck!

oceanlove

Jul 3, 2015
Ponga said:
1. Use form IMM 5710. The total amount for this OWP is $255 ($155 + $100)

2. You must submit an INLAND application to be eligible for the OWP, which means the `In-Canada sponsorship' application package. It's possible that applying Outland (even though you are in Canada) would be faster, but you would not be eligible for the OWP. Do you want/need to work soon, or do you want to have your PR soon?

3. N/A, because the pilot OWP is issued solely because you are submitting an Inland application.

4. Same as #3.

Good luck!

Thanks so much, Ponga. Yes, we are going to apply inland as my husband says he can't be apart no more ;)

So IMM5710 form - thank you so much, I would have never figured that out. Because when I went to the page on CIC website regarding pilot program it sent me to here cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/work.asp (sorry I am not allowed to post links yet) to find the forms. That is why I was confused.

Thank you again :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
MrJanevski said:
What about this? Can I apply to restore my status now? I am still less than 3 months ( for 17 days will be 3 months).
Yes - you can apply to restore your status back to visitor. Once your status is restored, you can then apply for an OWP. I believe it taking around three months these days for restoration applications to be processed. Good luck. Make sure CIC receives your restoration application before you hit the 90 day mark.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MrJanevski said:
Thank you very much Ponga. You helped me a lot. I called Call Centre and explain everything and they told me the same. First to restore my status back to visitor and after that to apply for OWP.

Now I prepare my documents and I have one confusion. In the document IMM5708E (Application to change conditions, extend my stay or remain as a visitor) is question: Indicate how long you play to stay (from-to) ? I don't understand. Can you help me with this? Thank you
The thanks should go to scylla. ;)

MrJanevski

Jul 13, 2015
scylla said:
Yes - you can apply to restore your status back to visitor. Once your status is restored, you can then apply for an OWP. I believe it taking around three months these days for restoration applications to be processed. Good luck. Make sure CIC receives your restoration application before you hit the 90 day mark.
Thank you very much SCYLLA. You helped me a lot. I called Call Centre and explain everything and they told me the same. First to restore my status back to visitor and after that to apply for OWP.

Now I prepare my documents and I have one confusion. In the document IMM5708E (Application to change conditions, extend my stay or remain as a visitor) is question: Indicate how long you play to stay (from-to) ? I don't understand. Can you help me with this? Thank you

GG_wife

Feb 9, 2015
does anybody know what are the rules for working for a non Canadian company in Canada with the pilot Work permit (case type 27)

to give a bit of background info, I work for a company back in my country which is a multinational company with it's own entity in every country they have offices eg in Canada. So they work as f they were separate companies in all countries when in reality they have the same US owner. My company would like to transfer me from my original country to the Canadian one however the internal company approvals take time. My question is can I work for my original company in Canada (which would be a non Canadian employer) until the approval process is done?

Naturally my company has a big name law firm vendor who suppose to know all these details, but they screwed up my first work permit application on the first place, so since then I am doing everything without their 'help' and coming to this forum and it is way more helpful and practical than trying to pick their brain.

I was also thinking maybe to call CIC to ask, but not sure if they know it either...

thanks for any pointers you could give!!

buttertart

Apr 27, 2015
Hi all,

A quick question: On the OWP Pilot Program Delivery Update page, has anyone noticed that they updated the page on June 30 and now when you click the 'work permit application' link on that page, it sends you to the Application to Work in Canada page. From there, when you click on the link under Apply on Paper (which presumably we have to since the form must be submitted by mail along with the INLAND application) it sends you to the Applying for a Work Permit Outside of Canada page. (I tried to include links to all of the pages I referenced above, but it wouldn't let me...sorry)

This must be an error, correct? It makes NO sense considering that anyone applying from outside Canada is not even eligible for the OWP under the Pilot Program.

I'm just wondering if anyone has seen or been able to obtain any further information about this? I take it the correct form is still the Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker (IMM5710) but it's a bit unnerving that the Pilot Program page no longer seems to link to that form... or maybe I am missing something?

Any advice or information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

mskeeta

Jul 20, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2015
AOR Received.
08-03-2016
Med's Done....
Not yet
Interview........
Waiting
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
INLAND
Hello there. I'm new to this forum. I have a couple of questions about the OWP.
I'm appying inland with my spouse (who's a canadian citizen). I'm in Canada in a Study/Work visa that Expires at the end of November and we are sending out or application August 1st.

1- Do I need to applying for any visa extension? Or will i have implied status?
2- Should I send the OWP at the same time with the sponsorship application? And do I need to have a job for the OWP or can I fill N/A and apply for jobs after i get it?

Thank you!!!

tinabenamer

Apr 6, 2015
Hi Guys,

I just want to keep you updated i got my OWP today it was issued July 15,2015 i send my application April 9,2015

Thanks Ponga for all the help:)

chrismgallen

Star Member
Aug 24, 2013
NB, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-05-2015
AOR Received.
23-07-2015 OWP Received.: 20-08-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Purely out of interest (as I know I'm still within the posted 4 month timeframe) - has anyone who applied inland in May received their OWP yet?

bjeffrey

Jul 28, 2015
Howdy, folks! I, too, am interested to hear who has received an OWP through this program and what their experience was like.

I moved to Canada in May to be with my wife with the hope to get a work permit through the new program. We sent in our application packet and it was received on June 9th. I spoke with a rather blunt CIC agent today (July 28th), and he expressed there's basically no way to check on the status of the OWP application (he claimed it was too early to check) and that the only way to know if I'm getting one is if it shows up in the mail. He also said the 4 month timeframe for an OWP upon receiving the application was an "average;" some took shorter, some took longer. This was a bit frustrating to hear!

I know we're no where close to the 4 month mark yet, but his statement on "averages" got me a little nervous. I have several interviews coming up, and I'd like to be able to tell them I'm expecting an OWP by October at the latest. If it happens to be later, I'm not certain they'll keep the position open for me. And seeing as how my visitor visa runs out at the end of October, I'd like to know if I'll need to file an extension!

So, I guess I'm just curious to see how many people got their OWP in the 4 month timeframe, and if anyone had any luck checking on how the process was going, and if there was any point of communication beyond just having the work permit show up in the mail! Any adivce and stories would be helpful!

tinabenamer

Apr 6, 2015
bjeffrey said:
Howdy, folks! I, too, am interested to hear who has received an OWP through this program and what their experience was like.

I moved to Canada in May to be with my wife with the hope to get a work permit through the new program. We sent in our application packet and it was received on June 9th. I spoke with a rather blunt CIC agent today (July 28th), and he expressed there's basically no way to check on the status of the OWP application (he claimed it was too early to check) and that the only way to know if I'm getting one is if it shows up in the mail. He also said the 4 month timeframe for an OWP upon receiving the application was an "average;" some took shorter, some took longer. This was a bit frustrating to hear!

I know we're no where close to the 4 month mark yet, but his statement on "averages" got me a little nervous. I have several interviews coming up, and I'd like to be able to tell them I'm expecting an OWP by October at the latest. If it happens to be later, I'm not certain they'll keep the position open for me. And seeing as how my visitor visa runs out at the end of October, I'd like to know if I'll need to file an extension!

So, I guess I'm just curious to see how many people got their OWP in the 4 month timeframe, and if anyone had any luck checking on how the process was going, and if there was any point of communication beyond just having the work permit show up in the mail! Any adivce and stories would be helpful!
Hi bjeffrey,
I have submitted my owp application April 9,2015 and i got my permit July 21.goodluck on yours.