+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

One year of graduate study

Faithope

Star Member
Mar 21, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How many points for One year of graduate study? Can we put this under "Two or more degrees, certificates or diploma with one more than three years"?

I have done Bachelors and Masters but my Bachelors is evaluated by WES as Bachelors degree 4 years (Canada equivalency) and my Masters as One year of graduate study.

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you sure about that? One year of graduate study doesn't give you a cert, diploma or degree. I get that the OP has 2 degrees from home, but if they're only equal to one degree and one year of study without any award for it in Canada, is putting in 2 degrees the right option?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
purplesnow said:
Are you sure about that? One year of graduate study doesn't give you a cert, diploma or degree. I get that the OP has 2 degrees from home, but if they're only equal to one degree and one year of study without any award for it in Canada, is putting in 2 degrees the right option?
I second that observation.

Faithope, if you don't mind copy pasting your WES report here, we can try helping further.

rajanvnv

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:
I second that observation.

Faithope, if you don't mind copy pasting your WES report here, we can try helping further.
Yes, I agree with purplesnow and Asivad on this. I have read in some other thread that One year of Graduate study means you have done some study towards a graduation but have not completed or got your final degree/diploma certificate. You will not be able to select 'Two or More option' if this one and bachelor's are the only study you have.

sivasagi

Jan 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NOOOOOOOOOOO. You cannot claim "Two or more degrees, certificates or diploma with one more than three years". One year graduate certificate doesn't give any points.

Please check and take action. I got the same thing for my post graduation and my company lawyer has told that I don't get any points for it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
sivasagi said:
One year graduate certificate doesn't give any points.
Agreed. Zero points.

vineshparekh

Jul 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2015
Nomination.....
13-11-22015
AOR Received.
11-12-2015
Med's Done....
23-12-2015
Passport Req..
05-05-2016
sivasagi said:
NOOOOOOOOOOO. You cannot claim "Two or more degrees, certificates or diploma with one more than three years". One year graduate certificate doesn't give any points.

Please check and take action. I got the same thing for my post graduation and my company lawyer has told that I don't get any points for it.
I've two programs graduate certificates one year each and one three years bachelors from back home. Can I put Two or more degree programs?

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Faithope said:
How many points for One year of graduate study? Can we put this under "Two or more degrees, certificates or diploma with one more than three years"?

I have done Bachelors and Masters but my Bachelors is evaluated by WES as Bachelors degree 4 years (Canada equivalency) and my Masters as One year of graduate study.
My partner has a 5-year Masters' degree from Slovakia evaluated the same way as yours, and got EE credit for Bachelor's only. I have an American Bachelor's degree and completed one year of a two-year MBA program - again, evaluated as Bachelor's plus one year of graduate study, but for EE purposes, Bachelor's only. Just take the Bachelor's only option - you still get enough points.

Sidd12345

Apr 13, 2013
Would there be any points if I did 1 year master's degree from Canada (degree states its a 1-2 year program) and 4 years bachelor's from abroad. Can I choose the 2 or more degree option then?

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
if you have a canadian masters you tick off the option saying you have a masters. and yes, a masters is worth more points than two degrees

Nafees

Apr 20, 2015
Have same issue with me M.Sc ( genetics) , seems WES doesn't grants Masters equivalency for lab based subject..

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sidd12345 said:
Would there be any points if I did 1 year master's degree from Canada (degree states its a 1-2 year program) and 4 years bachelor's from abroad. Can I choose the 2 or more degree option then?
If you have the Canadian Master's degree, and your 4-year bachelor's degree is evaluated as equivalent to a Canadian bachelor's degree, then you can take credit for 2 degrees.

Mann3Queen

Jun 27, 2016
Guys,

I do not know if anyone is still following this thread. But the page titled Educational Credential Assessments – how to read your report on the cic site has been updated recently.
One year of graduate study qualifies to fall under "Two or more programs..". Rejoice!

Reactions: Subahni

praful.pandita

Star Member
Feb 7, 2015
Muscat
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......

Hi were you able to get extra points for one year of graduate study