Med's Done....
21-05-2011
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
Oct 17th 2011
LANDED..........
Estimated Feb 2012
I grew up in the United Arab Emirates, which is also influenced by the UK, atleast when it comes to chocolate. I miss British chocolate SO much. You can get it in some places here in Toronto, but it's such a rip off, I never bother. $2.75 for a Cadbury Flake- seriously?

eyeoftheocean

Sep 14, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Jan 2009
File Transfer...
June 2009
Med's Done....
Dec 2008 2nd Meds done Jan 2011 Medical Results have been received March 11
Interview........
AIP interview Aug 09 Security interview May 2010
LANDED..........
29-11-2013
omg flakes are sooooo nice, only the crumbliest flakiest chocolate lol

mini cheddars were yummy too and hob nobs and mcvities choc biscuits .

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
Iamrobot85 said:
I've always said Canada is just like America (where I was born and raised) if you just replace about 60% of the Starbucks with Tim Hortons and about 90% of the African-American people with Asian people. But really there are a lot more differences. It's hard to say if these are actual differences, because America and Canada both are such huge countries and different portions of each have their differences within the counties, and I've only lived in one little spot in America (all my life) and one little spot in Canada (for the last eight months). And it's hard to say one general thing about the US or Canada that's true all across the board, buuuut:

I think the old stereotype is true to an extent, people are more polite in Canada.

It seems that Canadians seem to be more musically inclined than Americans. I know few people in Canada that don't know how to play a musical instrument at least intermediately. In the US the inverse was true, I knew very few people that DID know how to play an instrument. I think that's why Canada is poised to overtake the music industry, IMO. And this has a lot to do with the education system between the two countries, and what is valued in which, but I digress.

Spelling is different, I can never get used to words like 'centre' no matter how hard I try.

Grocery stores are different. Most of my favorite cereals don't get sold here (Fruity Pebbles being the big one) but some of the cereals that have the same name are actually very different. Grape Nuts in Canada is not like Grape Nuts in the states. Which sucks because I liked the way they were in the states.

Soda isn't as big a thing here. It seems like people drink a lot less soda per capita than back home.

Same with smoking, I hardly see anyone smoke in Canada.

Anyway, these are just some things I've noticed.
I can completely agree with a lot of what you posted. I think some of the things that can bother me is that America and Canada almost feel alike but they just quite aren't there. Sometimes I just wish it was completely different so maybe it would make something like getting A1 steak sauce here not make me think it will taste like the one back home and give me false hope. Know what I mean? And speaking of A1 sauce, it is really big where I am from. People used to swear it was the same but it isn't. It tastes HORRIBLE here. And Corn Pops here is round, not the same shape in the states. We don't have Taco Bell or Arby's where I am at. Soda doesn't have caffiene, cheese is so expensive, and like you Iamrobot85, I miss my Fruity Pebbles. I about teared up at the thought of it. Also, I don't know about elsewhere but here that if you ask for Kraft Mayo, they will point you to the Miracle Whip and that is all they seem to stock. Come on guys, I don't want that gross stuff. Plus it literally says on the label, "Kraft Miracle Whip" not Mayo. Hmm.. I just don't think I will ever get used to not having the same groceries I have at home. Guess I am bit spoiled. Also, I will not call Canadian "Rockets" that, I don't care how many times hubby corrects me, those are the "Smarties" I know, not your "Smarties". Lol. And garage being said like garadge, yep can't get used to that one either.

Sorry for the long post and hope I didn't offend anyone. Thanks OP for the wonderful post/thread. It is true though you will miss things you never imagined you would and be part of behaviour you never thought was part of you before. Overall, I hope everyone has fun in this country and enjoys discovering their new home. Just remember to take your time. After all, I hear the feeling of settling in comes in stages over the course of years. I guess some may settle in sooner but just remember it is okay to get frustrated sometimes but don't forget to smile and enjoy yourself when the opportunity arises. Good luck all future/current immigrants. :)

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
My brother-in-law's grandparents came to Saskatoon without knowing a word of English. But they knew French very well, and since Canada is a bilingual country, expected no trouble communicating! LOL.

For days they kept trying to talk to people in French in stores and wherever. They couldn't get over their surprise for weeks.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pinklady said:
Galaxy chocolate is delish! When i eat Galaxy I think I prefer Galaxy, and when I eat Cadburys I think I prefer Cadburys, its so hard to choose!
eat both !

DNT2003

Jan 24, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI <br>Type of App....: SPOUSAL-WIFE<br>YEAR IS..........:[b] 2011[/b]<br>Applicant City..: Surat, Gujarat<br>Med's Done.....: 17-FEB[br]0 Day
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-FEB [br]6 Days<br>Rcvd. by CPC-M.: 24-FEB [br]7 Days[br]Decision Made.: 23-MAR [br]35 Days
File Transfer...
23-MAR [br]35 Days[br]AOR Received.: 31-MAR[br]43 Days[br]ND Received File.: 05-APR [br]48 Days[br]CSE#1 Sent to ND.: 18-MAY[br]90 Days[br]CSE#1 Reply Received.: NONE[br]CSE#2 Sent to ND.: 11-JUN[br]CSE#2 Reply Received.: NONE[br]eCAS In Process..: 16-JUN[br]119 Days
Passport Req..
[br]28-JUN[br]132 Days[br]Passport Sent..: 02-JUL[br][color=blue]PassportRX-ND..: 04-JUL[/color]
VISA ISSUED...
[glow=RED,2,300]145+ Days & counting... since Med's[/glow][br]
LANDED..........
Not Yet, but <br>Expected Date.: inshallah very soon!!!
haha.. I didn't even know about the plaster part.. I guess we learn something new everyday... I've always known as BAND-IT

DNT2003

brin said:
lol..I can certainly relate to that...I had a paper cut at work and I was asking if someone had a plaster ...and everyone was looking at me like...errrrrrrrrrr...what!!!! and I had to show my finger to get what I wanted!!! Band-Aid!!!! :p

eyeoftheocean

Sep 14, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Jan 2009
File Transfer...
June 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
LANDED..........
29-11-2013
welcome back Baloo ! where ya bin ? oh thats another different word lol garbage /bin .

shamsia

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2011
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
30-06-2011
File Transfer...
31-08-2011
Med's Done....
16-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-01-2012
LANDED..........
April 6th, 2012
HoneyEllis said:
I worked in an office in Canada for a year on a Working Holiday Visa (I'm now back in Australia waiting for my spousal sponsorship to be approved) - I found Canada and Australia VERY similar - but I still managed to put my foot in my mouth fairly often - I think the funniest one was when I asked a colleague if he had watered the pot plants on my desk - apparently it's a "house plant" and a "pot plant" is something very different!!!
LOL!! Remind me to keep my mouth firmly shut with my foot nowhere near its vicinity when I come to Canada! ;D

TGR

Star Member
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-06-2011
AOR Received.
09-08-2011
Med's Done....
21-05-2011
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
Oct 17th 2011
LANDED..........
Estimated Feb 2012
I once asked someone for a torch and they looked at me funny and said, "oh, you mean a flashlight?"
As someone whose lived here 6 years now, you slowly get used to changing the way you talk and using the "canadian" words for things.

eyeoftheocean

Sep 14, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Jan 2009
File Transfer...
June 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
LANDED..........
29-11-2013
LOL I always say Torch and get reminded of flashlight ahahah

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
I find it very amusing hearing people say how this or that from the old country is SOOOOO much better than the CRAP in Canada... more often than not they leave off the "TO ME" part. If you had grown up in Canada and gotten used to what you now think is so inferior you would have the opposite view you have now most likely.

I am amazed at how lousy I think Coke Zero tastes anywhere but in Canada... and Pepsi (which sucks to begin with) is like water and piss in the US. Not being a chocolate guy can't really comment I know my wife thinks Lindt is the only chocolate that matters in the world so I guess both the UK and Canada lose out on that one.

You should try moving to a third world country and one that frowns upon Beef consumption it's so sad to go into an A & W in Thailand and they have exactly ONE beef burger on the menu and NO Onion Rings...

Or how about KFC, people look at me like an Alien when I ask for a "breast" sorry don't have that here, you must ask for a Keel if you want the breast of the Chicken...

Trying buying Milk, yeah good old fashioned COW Milk... you can get Soy Milk, Peanut Milk, Corn Milk, Goat Milk, seriously just about anything on the planet they put it in a bottle and call it Milk... and over here those damn UHT things are so popular.. I don't want my Milk from a cardboard box sitting on a shelf, it needs to be in a carton in the fridge section of the store... *sigh*

dair2dv8103100

Aug 6, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
28.02.11/19.03.12
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Aug 1, 2012 :)
Bangkokcanuck said:
Trying buying Milk, yeah good old fashioned COW Milk... you can get Soy Milk, Peanut Milk, Corn Milk, Goat Milk, seriously just about anything on the planet they put it in a bottle and call it Milk... and over here those damn UHT things are so popular.. I don't want my Milk from a cardboard box sitting on a shelf, it needs to be in a carton in the fridge section of the store... *sigh*
There is definitely something wrong with the idea of milk in a box on the shelf...I am sorry...but that is NOT milk!!! Real milk would spoil in a few hours on a shelf!!

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
eyeoftheocean said:
omg flakes are sooooo nice, only the crumbliest flakiest chocolate lol

mini cheddars were yummy too and hob nobs and mcvities choc biscuits .
Did you know you can buy flakes in walmart? Imported flakes from the UK and they are $1.29, same as the other bars. You can also get the Cadburys twisted bars at walmart, have you tried those? Like a creme egg in a bar, delicious!
Around christmas time, look out for the giant 1 kg bars of dairy milk, imported from england. I think they're about $16, but I always get a couple to store haha. I am a chocolate freak!

Oh and I love mini cheddars too, and hula hoops!

eyeoftheocean

Sep 14, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Jan 2009
File Transfer...
June 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
LANDED..........
29-11-2013
pinklady said:
Did you know you can buy flakes in walmart? Imported flakes from the UK and they are $1.29, same as the other bars. You can also get the Cadburys twisted bars at walmart, have you tried those? Like a creme egg in a bar, delicious!
Around christmas time, look out for the giant 1 kg bars of dairy milk, imported from england. I think they're about $16, but I always get a couple to store haha. I am a chocolate freak!

Oh and I love mini cheddars too, and hula hoops!
Are yo serious about wallmart selling flakey babies LOL , omg im off there right this minute , I will drive to the end of the earth and back fro creamy yummy choclit !! LOL..yes tried the twist cream egg bars, there licious lol ..im drooling like a dog here , gotta go to wallymart ..byeeeeeeeeee