+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

One Year Graduate Program (Work Permit and PR INQUIRY)

invisible_sk

Apr 5, 2016
I am enrolled in Advanced Networking Security Professional program in Willis College Ontario (as an international student). The program duration is 1 year. (will begin in september)

I would like to ask you regarding the work permit after i finish the study program. I heard it will be for 1 year and cannot be renewed? Please provide me details if i ll be able to renew it or no if i have a job offer letter with me. Or do i need to change the course and select a 2 year diploma? Which one would be benificial?

One more question please:
My sister graduated from Carleton University and currently working in canada. She has applied in Express Entry Program and has good score. She is eligible for PR. I want to know that if she gets PR and i am studying in canada then will i be able to get PR too as she got it. Or she will be able to sponsor me or no?

Please i am a little confused. Kindly help me in this regards.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If your goal is to obtain PR, you should be taking a two year program to qualify for a three year PGWP. If you only take a 1 year program then you will only get a 1 year PGWP. If you want to extend the 1 year PGWP, your employer would need to obtain an approved LMIA. The LMIA process is very long and expensive - with no guarantee of approval at the end. Most employers aren't willing to go through it.

No - you will not get PR as part of your sister's application. No - your sister cannot sponsor you. You have to qualify for PR on your own.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just to add - the school you are attending is a private college. It's quite possible you won't even qualify for a PGWP once you're done. You should switch to a public college like Humber, Sheridan, Centennial. Besides the fact that private colleges don't always qualify for PGWPs, they also have horrible reputations in general in Canada with employers and offer a much lower level of education than public colleges. You should switch to a real school as soon as possible.

Sep 4, 2012
@scylla... please dont mislead with incorrect information.
Anyone who studies a course more than 8 months qualify for 1 year work permit.
Read this : http://www.canadavisa.com/post-graduation-work-permit-program.html
My brother is joining the same course by september...

MedicStudent

Apr 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
parthibanbalu1 said:
@scylla... please dont mislead with incorrect information.
Anyone who studies a course more than 8 months qualify for 1 year work permit.
Read this : http://www.canadavisa.com/post-graduation-work-permit-program.html
My brother is joining the same course by september...
There have been lots of students who graduated from private colleges and didn't get their PGWP...

kunaldude

Star Member
Dec 17, 2015
Hi,

I got admission in conestoga college in Post Graduate course named as Information Technology Business Analysis. It will start in sep 2016 and ends in Dec 2017. As per offer letter it states that it is 2 year Full Time Program and will be having 16 months of study. But the semesters runs consecutively without a break.

So, will you please tell me how much work permit will I get. 3 years or upto the course length (16 months)

Please help.

Thanks

ARao

May 2, 2016
Hey all...!

I am intrstd in doing a PG 1 yr diploma course under Civil / Environmental specialization in any esteemed college for the Septembr intake. I have completed B.E Civil with GPA 9 , have work exp of 2 yrs and have registered for IELTS, wch is scheduled for May 28th. I would like ur guidance/help on how to proceed further. Should I apply to colleges directly or via consultants? Does any1 know any good college or list of good colleges wch has the necessary programs? What step should I take now?

Anna Miller

Feb 3, 2018
Hi all!
After completing Master , I came to Canada as a student for one year program in management(credential awarded- Ontario College Graduate Certificate ). I'm working as designer in one of the Canadian brand (small business). I started as a part time, as I was waiting for my work permit. Luckily I got full time position in the same company one week before I received my work permit.
I'm preparing to apply for express entry after i complete my one year experience.I can do it only in the last week of my work permit. I have no other experience, just few internships. And I don't have any gaps in my education.
I have a boyfriend and we are in serious relationship and I also love my work and want to do the same job during the process of express entry. What can i do to extend my stay in Canada after completing my one year experience, my work permit will also expire on the same day?
Or do i need to leave the country after I apply and wait for ITA?
Please help.
Thank You!