+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

One way vs Return Air Ticket for Super Visa

tender_heart

Star Member
Jul 19, 2012
Hi,

My mother got the approval for her (Super Visa), she's planning to visit my family in Canada for 1-2 month(s), while she's in Canada, she will apply for the US to visit my aunt (her sister), and leave from U.S. back to home.

Is there any problem if I booked ONE way air ticket (from Home to Canada), as we intend to book the return flight from the US after she visits her sister.

Any concern from the border immigration?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

My mother got the approval for her (Super Visa), she's planning to visit my family in Canada for 1-2 month(s), while she's in Canada, she will apply for the US to visit my aunt (her sister), and leave from U.S. back to home.

Is there any problem if I booked ONE way air ticket (from Home to Canada), as we intend to book the return flight from the US after she visits her sister.

Two points you may want to consider:
1. Do contact her local visa office to ask whether or not she is allowed to stay for up to years only the initial entry.... or on all subsequent super visa entries (if allowed by the immigration officer)

2. It's best if she applies for a US visa when she is in her home country

Reactions: dadbangalore

dadbangalore

Star Member
Sep 8, 2013
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
27-02-2017
Hi,

My mother recently came to Canada for her first visit on Supervisa. She had one way ticket and Border officer asked “how long she plans to stay”. She mentioned “planning for 2 years”. Officer put a hard written date of 2 years on stamp in her passport. He did not ask for return ticket( moreover, obviously we can not buy return ticket for so long in future)

Now, think of how this conversation might happen for your case. Officer may ask “How long do you plan to stay in Canada”. If your mom would answer 1-2 months. Chances officer ask “Do you have a return ticket booked ?” .... if mom answers “ No, as I plan to visit US and plan to return from US to my home country” .... officer May ask “Do you have Visit Visa of US” or he may check directly on passport for US stamp. I am unsure how the conversation would go further at this point if she has US visa already (may be no further questions will be asked !!! We will never know ) or if she does not have US visa already while arriving in Canada( may be further questions will be asked )

In general, you might have got a sense of “concerns of border immigration” that you wished to know?

Seniors in this forum would have more apt advise. This are my thoughts if it may help you .

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
My mother recently came to Canada for her first visit on Supervisa. She had one way ticket and Border officer asked “how long she plans to stay”. She mentioned “planning for 2 years”. Officer put a hard written date of 2 years on stamp in her passport. He did not ask for return ticket( moreover, obviously we can not buy return ticket for so long in future)
That handwritten date matters for a stay of two years. Otherwise, no handwritten date would mean a stay of up to 6 months.

Now, think of how this conversation might happen for your case. Officer may ask “How long do you plan to stay in Canada”. If your mom would answer 1-2 months. Chances officer ask “Do you have a return ticket booked ?” .... if mom answers “ No, as I plan to visit US and plan to return from US to my home country” .... officer May ask “Do you have Visit Visa of US” or he may check directly on passport for US stamp. I am unsure how the conversation would go further at this point if she has US visa already (may be no further questions will be asked !!! We will never know ) or if she does not have US visa already while arriving in Canada( may be further questions will be asked )

In general, you might have got a sense of “concerns of border immigration” that you wished to know?

Seniors in this forum would have more apt advise. This are my thoughts if it may help you .
Agreed.

Technically, for a super visa, she does not require a return ticket. Airlines will allow her to board the flights.

There are some uncertainties in this case:
The OP's mom does not have a US visa, yet + intends to stay for a short 1-2 months on a super visa entry + no fixed date for her return even for a short visit

If the OP's mom intends to visit for a couple of months then I recommend she books return tickets (date change allowed/refundable) from Canada>>Home country and not from the US>>Home country

Rajucanada2018

Star Member
Sep 11, 2018
Hi,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Super Visa, she can stay till 2 years continues. when she comes at Canadian airport, she need only one way tickets with one year medical insurance. very really immigration officer asks about stay in Canada.
She has a very little chance to get USA visit visa from Canada. She should try from home country.

Reactions: dadbangalore

tender_heart

Star Member
Jul 19, 2012
Thanks fams,

seems it won't a problem to have one way air ticket.

So just to confirm, does she need to hold copy from medical insurance with her at the airport borders?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
You've missed the points suggested in this thread. It could be a problem to buy a one-way ticket if she intends to stay for just a couple of months + she intends to leave from the US for which she does not have a visa.

So just to confirm, does she need to hold copy from medical insurance with her at the airport borders?
Yes

Rajucanada2018

Star Member
Sep 11, 2018
Thanks fams,

-------------------------------------------------
Bryanna has good knowledge.

@ canadian airport she needs:
1. Original passport with super visa
2. one way ticket (if she doesn't want to go back early)
3. Super visa medical insurance with one year validity
4. if she got IMM0535 ( Medical surveillance under taking form) - 2 copy

Reactions: Bryanna

pkkalras

Apr 27, 2015
canada
Technically, for a super visa, she does not require a return ticket. Airlines will allow her to board the flights.