+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

one way ticket

sunnyinlombardy

Star Member
Mar 30, 2013
If a person from visa exempt country decides to do an inland application due to circumstances, when the person arrives to Canada on a one way ticket to Canada, do they ask lot of questions when you land?
Do you say that you will apply inland? Do they even ask you? Besides demonstrating that you have enough money, what else should the person consider to bring? Does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks in advance

bigredmoose

Dec 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, AUS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-10-2014
AOR Received.
24-12-2014
File Transfer...
06-01-2015
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
27/04/2015 (COPR)
LANDED..........
08/07/2015
sunnyinlombardy said:
If a person from visa exempt country decides to do an inland application due to circumstances, when the person arrives to Canada on a one way ticket to Canada, do they ask lot of questions when you land?
Do you say that you will apply inland? Do they even ask you? Besides demonstrating that you have enough money, what else should the person consider to bring? Does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks in advance
The main thing to worry about is that you can not just move to Canada. If you turn up at the border as a visitor but your intention is to stay then the CBSA is likely to refuse entry. You can lie and say you're visiting, but you're on a one way ticket, and they've got all sorts of seemingly innocuous questions to determine your intent. Getting caught lying to them is not advisable.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Some airlines won't let you board with only a one way ticket. You'll need to verify with the airlines that you will be allowed to fly. I would personally purchased a two-way.

sunnyinlombardy

Star Member
Mar 30, 2013
bigredmoose said:
The main thing to worry about is that you can not just move to Canada. If you turn up at the border as a visitor but your intention is to stay then the CBSA is likely to refuse entry. You can lie and say you're visiting, but you're on a one way ticket, and they've got all sorts of seemingly innocuous questions to determine your intent. Getting caught lying to them is not advisable.
I asked a question, because we don't want to lie. We thought we could apply outland but I have to go to Canada sooner than expected. My husband will come with me, as well as our daughter. He is from a visa exempt country and has a right to 6 months. We would apply as soon as we get to Canada for PR and OWP.

So when we land, would they deny him entry if they know that he is planning on applying inland? We don't want to lie.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You can apply outland even while in Canada. Your husband can visit Canada without a visa. Usually people are given six months, which can be extended.

sunnyinlombardy

Star Member
Mar 30, 2013
canadianwoman said:
You can apply outland even while in Canada. Your husband can visit Canada without a visa. Usually people are given six months, which can be extended.
Yeah I know, but he needs to work asap. OWP looks like it takes 4 months to get.

bigredmoose

Dec 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, AUS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-10-2014
AOR Received.
24-12-2014
File Transfer...
06-01-2015
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
27/04/2015 (COPR)
LANDED..........
08/07/2015
You can certainly say what your plans are, but the problem will come if you don't have an exit plan. If you turn up on a one-way ticket, with all your belongings, no job or residence back home, they are going to think you're likely to stay regardless of what happens with your app or if your visitor visa doesn't get extended. You need to show the CBSA that a)you fully understand the rules around immigration and b)you are willing and able to leave the country should things not work out.

Basically you're moving to Canada without authorization (regardless of your intention to apply for PR) and that carries a risk that you will be turned away at the border.

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
You say you have a right to 6 months .. You have no rights it depends on the CBSA agent if he decided to give you 6 months. Visa exempt or not you should buy a return ticket and once he is in the country then go for a refund. My son who holds a Canadian and British passport nearly never got on his plane from the U.k because he had a one way ticket but no Canadian passport that was valid. OWP is taking about 4 months after your application is sent.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
if the only reason for applying inland is because you think an OWP will be received in 4 months from the day the applicationis submitted, then you are taking a big risk. there's still no proof of that. really no one will know how long it takes for the OWP to be approved until at least end of march, when we see what happens with the first round of applicants. does the "4months" start when the application is received or does the "4 months" start when CIC acknowledges receipt of the application? no one knows and those are 2 very different time lines. that means there's always the chance that the applicant would have been fully approved for pr quicker as an outland applicant than actually receiving the OWP through inland. until the timeline is consistently proven how long it actually takes to get an OWP with the pilot program, applying inland is still a big risk for visa exempt applicants.

also, proceed with caution with the current plan for gaining entry. the language a person uses to answer questions can utimately decide whether they are let in and for how long. while some people may not have had issues traveling on one way tickets, it is also considered a "red flag" that leads to secondary inspection. it's far safer to get a refundable return ticket and avoid the issue all together.

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
rhcohen2014 said:
if the only reason for applying inland is because you think an OWP will be received in 4 months from the day the applicationis submitted, then you are taking a big risk. there's still no proof of that. really no one will know how long it takes for the OWP to be approved until at least end of march, when we see what happens with the first round of applicants. does the "4months" start when the application is received or does the "4 months" start when CIC acknowledges receipt of the application? no one knows and those are 2 very different time lines. that means there's always the chance that the applicant would have been fully approved for pr quicker as an outland applicant than actually receiving the OWP through inland. until the timeline is consistently proven how long it actually takes to get an OWP with the pilot program, applying inland is still a big risk for visa exempt applicants.

also, proceed with caution with the current plan for gaining entry. the langugage a person uses to answer questions can utimately decide whether they are let in and for how long. while some people may not have had issues traveling on one way tickets, it is also considered a "red flag" that leads to secondary inspection. it's far safer to get a refundable return ticket and avoid the issue all together.

Thank you for explaining what i was trying to say +1. You are so good with words.

sunnyinlombardy

Star Member
Mar 30, 2013
Actually, I have a job offer, an apartment and family there. My husband also has a potential job offer, we are still finalizing things. But if his visa doesn't turn out the way it should, we have a house and property in Italy to return to.
Is it me just me or everything that people write on here is just being attacked for no reason? We are trying to do things right, we don't want to lie, we are just a family that's trying to figure out what's best for us due to a job offer in Canada as I'm a Canadian citizen and due to my mother being sick, my place should be close to her at this time.

Also, we are not coming to Canada with all of our belongings as we don't know what will happen. I wish people would stop assuming things. We have enough money to hold us over for a long time. It's just important to him to work as he doesn't want to feel useless.

I agree with the return ticket, we might just buy it anyways, the difference in price is not so different.

sunnyinlombardy

Star Member
Mar 30, 2013
taffy7 said:
You say you have a right to 6 months .. You have no rights it depends on the CBSA agent if he decided to give you 6 months. Visa exempt or not you should buy a return ticket and once he is in the country then go for a refund. My son who holds a Canadian and British passport nearly never got on his plane from the U.k because he had a one way ticket but no Canadian passport that was valid. OWP is taking about 4 months after your application is sent.
You know exactly what I mean by he has rights to 6 months. I know that he can always be refused, anyone can! But a person from Italy once in Canada can stay up to 6 months.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
sunnyinlombardy said:
You know exactly what I mean by he has rights to 6 months. I know that he can always be refused, anyone can! But a person from Italy once in Canada can stay up to 6 months.
Only if the immigration officer allows a six month stay. It's possible for the immigration officer to allow you into Canada but for less than six months. In that case you would have to apply for an extension if you want to stay longer.

sunnyinlombardy

Star Member
Mar 30, 2013
That's lot of ifs and you are stating things that are obvious. My husband was in Canada plenty of times, never had a problem, was questioned only once. We are well aware of these things. Like I said, I just want to know if it's common to deny people from entering if they say they will apply inland.

How did other people do it? There are so many people in Canada that applied inland, how did they all get to that point?

bigredmoose

Dec 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, AUS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-10-2014
AOR Received.
24-12-2014
File Transfer...
06-01-2015
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
27/04/2015 (COPR)
LANDED..........
08/07/2015
sunnyinlombardy said:
That's lot of ifs and you are stating things that are obvious. My husband was in Canada plenty of times, never had a problem, was questioned only once. We are well aware of these things. Like I said, I just want to know if it's common to deny people from entering if they say they will apply inland.

How did other people do it? There are so many people in Canada that applied inland, how did they all get to that point?
They could very well have done it the way you're intending to. I'm just pointing out that there are risks.

Other people get student visas, working holiday, etc and then apply inland.