+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

One Way Ticket for Parents(India) on Visitor Visa

datartist123

Apr 13, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I need to book tickets for my parents from India who recently got Canada Visitor Visa.
I know that on visitor visa, it is strongly recommended to have a return ticket but since we are not sure of the length of the stay as my wife is expecting so I’m thinking to book one way tickets at the moment.
Can we book a dummy return ticket with a PNR ($10-$20)or shall I book a fully refundable very expensive return ticket ($2500 upwards per pax) just for the statisfaction of immigration officer and later cancel/change it?

PS: I know making round trips booking is more economical and sensible but it is not working for my personal situation.
I’d appreciate your response. Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Everyone,

I need to book tickets for my parents from India who recently got Canada Visitor Visa.
I know that on visitor visa, it is strongly recommended to have a return ticket but since we are not sure of the length of the stay as my wife is expecting so I’m thinking to book one way tickets at the moment.
Can we book a dummy return ticket with a PNR ($10-$20)or shall I book a fully refundable very expensive return ticket ($2500 upwards per pax) just for the statisfaction of immigration officer and later cancel/change it?

PS: I know making round trips booking is more economical and sensible but it is not working for my personal situation.
You can certainly try that. It may work or it may not work in terms of the airline letting you board the plane. It's not a confirmed ticket. The airline may require a confirmed ticket. So you can certainly try - however you need to have a back-up plan in case this doesn't work out. Presumably that back-up plan would be to buy a return ticket on the spot at the airport at full price.

Reactions: datartist123

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Everyone,

Oh - and IMO the risk is not so much with CBSA once you get to Canada as it is with the airline letting you board the airplane to come to Canada. IMO that's where the biggest risk is (i.e. denied boarding).

Reactions: datartist123

datartist123

Apr 13, 2018
Oh - and IMO the risk is not so much with CBSA once you get to Canada as it is with the airline letting you board the airplane to come to Canada. IMO that's where the biggest risk is (i.e. denied boarding).
Thank you very much for the prompt response. I definitely don’t want to take chances so seems like best bet would be to book a refundable /expensive ticket.

Reactions: canuck78

kumarh2020

Sep 15, 2020
Thank you very much for the prompt response. I definitely don’t want to take chances so seems like best bet would be to book a refundable /expensive ticket.
That's not true, the CBSA in Canada can ALSO send you back if there's no plan of return, and the plan or proof of return is the return ticket. Suggest you book the ticket, and can later cancel once they land and in your home

datartist123

Apr 13, 2018
That's not true, the CBSA in Canada can ALSO send you back if there's no plan of return, and the plan or proof of return is the return ticket. Suggest you book the ticket, and can later cancel once they land and in your home
Thank you for sharing this. Appreciate your help and quick response!

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
As I have stated previously, personal experience in several occasions has shown most, if not all, airlines will deny you boarding with a one way ticket. As mentioned, I have personally experienced this not only coming to Canada, but for the wife returning to her home country through Singapore (where she’s visa free) for a visit and the airline refusing her boarding without confirmed onward travel.