The Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello friends,

It has been exactly one month since I landed in Toronto. What can I tell you about my experiences? Well, my family and I spent the first three weeks just being tourists. We rented a furnished apartment in downtown close to all the tourist spots so we did not need a car. We walked the streets of Toronto and enjoyed the parks and other tourist attractions. Niagara Falls is always a must see for first time visitors to the country. It was important for me that my family first had fun in our new country to get to appreciate what it can offer.

I think the end of summer is the best time to land for an immigrant. Students who work part-time during the summer go back to school by September so there are alot of jobs. There are also full time jobs available because the Canadians love going back to school, so other full-timers become students again in September leaving even more jobs open.

I do not disagree with others when they say that you should be ready to take whatever job to survive the first few months in Canada. But please do not lose your focus. If you are a professional and you need extra studies to be able to practice in Canada, plan and go ahead with it. I have met so many immigrants who are "stuck" in their survivial jobs. If you find that your calling is to change your career then do it.

In my opinion, the most important tool for any job search here is your grasp of the english language. More than your years of experience; if you cannot communicate and share what you know then it is futile.

With God's blessings I arrived in Toronto but have decided to make Ottawa my new home. It is there that I found a job and a decent place to live in order to begin my Canadian dream.

So, good luck to all of us. Have faith and courage for these are necessities to start a new life in a new country. God bless!

Spree

Star Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hi Trintocanada

Good to know that your landing went well, and congrats on getting a job. It was great your being able to enjoy the country before having to face the hassles of life. How did you decide on Ottawa? Did you go around Ontario looking at different cities, or did you decide depending on where you found a job? Tell me, did you find a job in your area of expertise or is it a survival job? What is your NOC? I'm new to this forum so that's the reason why I'm asking all these questions. Hope you can reply when you have the time. Good luck in all your future endeavours.

zulkfal

Sep 28, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05/10/2009
Doc's Request.
15/12/2009
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06/05/2010
IELTS Request
Submitted with Doc's
File Transfer...
22/12/2009
Med's Request
04/05/2011 (Dated: 24/04/2011)
Med's Done....
09/05/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08/07/2011
VISA ISSUED...
25/07/2011
LANDED..........
07-08-2011
I don't know what impact this will have, but today I was walking through my department and my labor economics prof has a poster outside his room from Ministry for suggestion, who they can help immigrants to find jobs in their professions on urgent basis with some statistics i went through them with quick eye. There is a conference in Oct on that, which will be led by top business on invitation of Minister Keneey.

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
trinatocanada said:
Hello friends,

It has been exactly one month since I landed in Toronto. What can I tell you about my experiences? Well, my family and I spent the first three weeks just being tourists. We rented a furnished apartment in downtown close to all the tourist spots so we did not need a car. We walked the streets of Toronto and enjoyed the parks and other tourist attractions. Niagara Falls is always a must see for first time visitors to the country. It was important for me that my family first had fun in our new country to get to appreciate what it can offer.

I think the end of summer is the best time to land for an immigrant. Students who work part-time during the summer go back to school by September so there are alot of jobs. There are also full time jobs available because the Canadians love going back to school, so other full-timers become students again in September leaving even more jobs open.

I do not disagree with others when they say that you should be ready to take whatever job to survive the first few months in Canada. But please do not lose your focus. If you are a professional and you need extra studies to be able to practice in Canada, plan and go ahead with it. I have met so many immigrants who are "stuck" in their survivial jobs. If you find that your calling is to change your career then do it.

In my opinion, the most important tool for any job search here is your grasp of the english language. More than your years of experience; if you cannot communicate and share what you know then it is futile.

With God's blessings I arrived in Toronto but have decided to make Ottawa my new home. It is there that I found a job and a decent place to live in order to begin my Canadian dream.

So, good luck to all of us. Have faith and courage for these are necessities to start a new life in a new country. God bless!
Well Said that most professionals whom still want to practise whatever professions that u had before must go through certification and return to school to re-train. It is a fact indeed that whatever professionals, if u still want to practise what u had done before in yr career, u had better return to school to get yr Canadian certification and recognition to continue in yr career in Canada. However, if u want to practise something new, then u would also be advised to get the necessary certification. New immigrants, do not expect to come to Canada and get a bed of roses in yr previous career life, u would still need to strive and work towards yr new life in Canada.

piolo

Star Member
Mar 30, 2009
Hi Trina,

So happy to read your post. Yes, your new country and you must be happy ha , it shows the
way you share with us your first month in canada.

Have you taken the licensure exams or is still in the process? Good to know that you now have a job.
I am still wating for my update of documents letter while still saving a lot for my application to the
Alliance . Please keep us updated on the outcome of your licensure exams, and I hope you don't mind,
as far as I remember in your previous posts you mentioned that your husband will resume his hospital
job in Abu Dhabi. Was that plan aborted? I understand he is also a Physical therapist? Many PTs here in
Abu Dhabi are inspired by your success. Many thanks.

Piolo

Oh!CANADA

Star Member
Aug 4, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2006
Doc's Request.
Dec 2008
AOR Received.
Feb 2007
IELTS Request
Apr 2009
Med's Request
March 2010
Med's Done....
April 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Dec. 31, 2010
Hi trinatocanada!

Thanks for sharing your experience in Canada & for the significant & informative information.

We're still waiting for the PPR. We're praying that it will arrive the soonest so that we can land in Toronto like you.

Cheers!

trinatocanada

Dec 18, 2008
The Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the good wishes :)

@piolo - My husband still went back to Abu Dhabi. Although I am fortunate to find a job during my first month here, we still deemed it smart for him to continue to be employed while I try to arrange everything in Canada before they come back to join me. You have to be extra smart with your money because it disappears fast like sand in your hand. I have no relatives and very few friends who are all busy with their jobs. I thank God for the kindness of strangers who seem to be abundant in my life right now. I have not spent a single penny on furniture and I think my new apartment will be filled by the end of the week!
I still have a few classes to go before I can take the exam but my colleagues who are also PTs and PTAs were nice enough to offer to coach me if I needed them to. So, I don't start work until after labor day but I am excited. I still have a loooong way to go, but getting there is part of the fun or maybe I am just a sucker for stress, hehe.

@spree - hello, my NOC is 3142 (Physiotherapist). I am very lucky to have found a job in the same field as an assistant while I prepare for my license to practice. I started to look for work online and have managed to schedule a few interviews even before I landed and the job I have now is with one of the companies that I contacted.

samdxb

Star Member
Jun 13, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
1 june letter dated 25 may
VISA ISSUED...
sent on 8 june, stamped 17 june, recieved 28 june
LANDED..........
26 july Inshallah
congrats trina...what about ur PRC?

trinatocanada

Dec 18, 2008
The Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi sam :) PR card hasn't arrived yet. But you can practically arrange for everything you need (bank account, job application, lease an apt..etc.) without it. They said six weeks. Looks like they're sticking to their word.

ahmadtajwer

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2009
Aurora
Hi Trina, good to hear your inspiring success story. This is the right message for everyone to start looking/finding jobs over the internet before you land. I haven't even done medicals yet but my brother keep posting me vacancies of my field every now and than. Fingers crossed for our medicals any time this month or earlier next month. Happy for you.

trinatocanada

Dec 18, 2008
The Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh!CANADA said:
Hi trinatocanada!

Thanks for sharing your experience in Canada & for the significant & informative information.

We're still waiting for the PPR. We're praying that it will arrive the soonest so that we can land in Toronto like you.

Cheers!
I wish you good luck on your travels :)

trinatocanada

Dec 18, 2008
The Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ahmadtajwer said:
Hi Trina, good to hear your inspiring success story. This is the right message for everyone to start looking/finding jobs over the internet before you land. I haven't even done medicals yet but my brother keep posting me vacancies of my field every now and than. Fingers crossed for our medicals any time this month or earlier next month. Happy for you.
Oh I wouldn't call it a success story yet but I sure hope it ends that way :) I'll keep you guys posted as best I can of the good and the bad experiences I encounter and hope that you can maybe pick up some pointers and use them in your own game plan. Its good that you are keeping tabs on the vacancies in your field. That way you'll know which areas in Canada you can concentrate more in finding a suitable job. Continued good fortune to all of us!

igbehinadara

Champion Member
Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Avo
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Dec 2015
Nomination.....
Nov 2016
IELTS Request
NA
VISA ISSUED...
July 2017
LANDED..........
October 2017
Trina congratulation on your landing and this experience you have decided to share with you.You have given us hope and explained to us how crucial ,planning and re-planning is to our survival and success in our home land.I love you a go getter,courageous and brave.You have inspired me with this story.

Best of luck in your new job and regards.We are awaiting update.

Ig

gcctocanada

Jun 12, 2010
Bahrain
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
3/5/10
AOR Received.
4/15/10
IELTS Request
4/15/10
File Transfer...
9/23/10
Med's Request
6/20/13
Med's Done....
7/17/13- with PC and RPRF
Passport Req..
9/10/2013
VISA ISSUED...
10/06/2013
LANDED..........
12/9/2013 EDMONTON
Hi trina, i want to ask, how much is the rent for your flat in toronto and ottawa...what made you decide for ottawa? tnx

trinatocanada

Dec 18, 2008
The Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gcctocanada said:
Hi trina, i want to ask, how much is the rent for your flat in toronto and ottawa...what made you decide for ottawa? tnx
The fully furnished flat in Toronto was a 2-bedroom and cost $119/day+tax.

I found a 1 bedroom flat in Ottawa for $855/month utilities included in an area about 10 to 15 minutes from downtown Ottawa. I decided to settle there because I had a better job offer there than in Toronto.