+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

on Study permit in Canada and travel to homecountry and reentry, pgwp question

saichand

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
I have a study permit until march 30 2021 for my second course which had a semester cancelled for fall 2020 and continuing in winter 2021 also online. I intend to travel to my home country as soon as possible. Can I apply for a PGWP after completion of my course in 2021 without applying for a study permit extension just for one month more of classes?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
I have a study permit until march 30 2021 for my second course which had a semester cancelled for fall 2020 and continuing in winter 2021 also online. I intend to travel to my home country as soon as possible. Can I apply for a PGWP after completion of my course in 2021 without applying for a study permit extension just for one month more of classes?
You should apply for extension, you cant study without a permit. If it expires after studies you can apply for pgwp outside Canada without one.

saichand

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
You should apply for extension, you cant study without a permit. If it expires after studies you can apply for pgwp outside Canada without one.
But given the online and remote classes, is there no flexibility regarding 'no study permit no study'? Because it's just 25 days of extra classes, that too online and that too I will be in my home country.

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
But given the online and remote classes, is there no flexibility regarding 'no study permit no study'? Because it's just 25 days of extra classes, that too online and that too I will be in my home country.
Better safe than sorry. They might say that the study permit needs to be valid to claim PGWP credits even if the person is not present.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Nothing like that has been announced as far as I know, so its a big risk to take.