+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

On NAFTA work permit in Canada for years.... now marrying visa non-exempt

canamerican

Jun 6, 2012
In NAFTA on a work permit in Canada, valid for another 16 months and renewable. I am USA citizen. I have kids in Canada, one is on a dependent open work permit (BC pilot program for dependents 18-22). I have a perfect track record here of previous work permits, no violations or overstays. My applications at the border are quick, easy, never any questions or need for much documentation but resume and job offer.

Now remarrying, to Mexican citizen who requires VISA for Canada + her two children.

In the past, I could add my wife (now ex) to my work permit easily as either a visitor, or my class allows them to have their own open work permit. But they were visa exempt so we would walk up to the border and get one on the spot.

What differs for the new wife? I think the options are:

- try for a visitor visa pre-wedding, so that here, add to work permit from within with change of status, or own work permit application for the spousal permit. chance of visitor visa being denied, but can move on to next option if so.

- marry then apply for the open work permit from outside of Canada, which I think would be as easy as it was before for me ex, and for my dependent? or does something change in their consideration because the new wife is not from visa exempt country?

And lastly, do you think they will want to see anything else more than before? Proof of funds, other?

Once we are both here, I will start PR application under CEC or PNP but not until then.

Any thoughts or questions are welcome.

NBaker

Oct 23, 2011
Unless you meet criteria of common law which would seem unlikely if you have been working here and she not then the second option appears most viable.

If she is your spouse when application is made outside Canada the necessary criteria just needs to be met for the new family members per application process which you have likely already reviewed at the cic.gc.ca website.

You will need to have documentation related to your ex-spouse available, proof the divorce is final so that you could freely re-marry, support payments and so on. More information is always better, especially if you have nothing of concern in your history, just provide all evidence that shows you can support your family in its entirety and proof of marriage along with visa application.

Provided your new family members have no admissibility concerns or any other criteria not met there shouldn't be problems.

One question though - are the new family members residing in Mexico or elsewhere? Just wondering for purpose of where they will make application.

canamerican

Jun 6, 2012
Ok, as expected... thanks. I don't foresee any problems along anything you mentioned. Ex was a clean break, no spousal support, I have the children, no support for them either direction.

My new family members (futuro) are living in Mexico currently.

thanks