+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

On IEC Visa with 7Months left

slugrat

Jun 24, 2020
I am currently on an IEC visa with 7months left. I am living with my partner who is a Canadian citizen but we have only officially been living together since October 2020.
I am unsure what my best option is to stay in Canada after my visa expires. Is an open work permit an option?
I have been with my partner for less than a year but I want to get married to her in the future.
I am working part-time hours in retail so feel option feel limited.

Any help is very much appreciated

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am currently on an IEC visa with 7months left. I am living with my partner who is a Canadian citizen but we have only officially been living together since October 2020.
I am unsure what my best option is to stay in Canada after my visa expires. Is an open work permit an option?
I have been with my partner for less than a year but I want to get married to her in the future.

Based on the information you've provided, you do not qualify for an open work permit.

Best option would be to marry your partner now if the relationship is serious. Your partner can then sponsor you for PR using the inland family sponsorship route and include an open work permit with the sponsorship application.

slugrat

Jun 24, 2020
Based on the information you've provided, you do not qualify for an open work permit.

Best option would be to marry your partner now if the relationship is serious. Your partner can then sponsor you for PR using the inland family sponsorship route and include an open work permit with the sponsorship application.
Okay, thank you so much for responding!

I read under eligibility that
  • you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more;
you could be eligible? was basing it off of this

being together for less than a year and getting married would this be under more scrutiny??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Okay, thank you so much for responding!

I read under eligibility that
  • you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more;
you could be eligible? was basing it off of this

being together for less than a year and getting married would this be under more scrutiny??
No, you are not eligible for a TRP.

A TRP is a special class of visa that is reserved for individuals who are inadmissible to Canada, typically due to a crime.

You are probably confusing this with a TRV which is a regular visitor visa. Those on TRVs do not qualify for open work permits. This is limited to TRPs.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

Did you become unmarried in the time you posted earlier in July 2020 ?

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/iec-open-work-permit.696176/