+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Old passport end date within validity but renewed before eligibility period

Tomsi

Oct 29, 2021
I am applying for citizenship. My eligibility period is Nov 5 2016 till Nov 5 2016

I have an old passport on which expiry date was May 2017 but I already renewed it in October 2016 so new passport starts on October 5 2016.

My question is - do I mention my old passport in q 14 which asks to list passport and travel documents during eligibility period?

navid2014

Jul 9, 2014
I am applying for citizenship. My eligibility period is Nov 5 2016 till Nov 5 2016

I have an old passport on which expiry date was May 2017 but I already renewed it in October 2016 so new passport starts on October 5 2016.

My question is - do I mention my old passport in q 14 which asks to list passport and travel documents during eligibility period?
Yes you have to list your old passport details in question 14.

RJ2020

Oct 29, 2020

It doesn’t matter. It that passport have been valid from the date that falls within your eligibility period, you should mention it. So, u should mention it.

Tomsi

Oct 29, 2021
@RJ2020 so, my issue is when I applied for PR in the passport section at that time I had listed the renewed passport only because forum member had said to only mention valid passports and not expired passports (although I did upload a copy of old expired passport along with PR application but didnt list it in the passport row section). Wouldnt this be a mismatch if I mention it as a row in the passport section this time?

navid2014

Jul 9, 2014
@RJ2020 so, my issue is when I applied for PR in the passport section at that time I had listed the renewed passport only because forum member had said to only mention valid passports and not expired passports (although I did upload a copy of old expired passport along with PR application but didnt list it in the passport row section). Wouldnt this be a mismatch if I mention it as a row in the passport section this time?
Not declaring now would be a problem, even if they somehow question why did n't you declare during your PR then you may come up with a reason but hiding some information now while filing for Citizenship will have an affect on your application.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016

You have to mention the old passport and in the section below just write no gaps in the passport dates

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
I don't agree with previous messages.
You have to list the passports that were valid during parts of your eligibility period.
That old passport was not. The fact that you renewed it means that it wasn't valid since the day your new passport was issued.

There's nothing new with passports becoming invalid before the original expiration day. It's even the most common case, and IRCC obviously knows about this.

There's also no contradiction with your previous application. The fact that you're going to include a newer passport in itself is a proof that the previous passport wasn't valid anymore. I'm not sure what IRCC would have to ask about here...

Reactions: CaBeaver

Rutherfords

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021

This is what the Application form says:
"Tell us about all of your travel documents and/or passports covering your five (5) year eligibility period."

In my opinion - since the former passport was cancelled before your eligibility period you should be alright not mentioning it.

However, if you want to be absolutely thorough - you haven't much to lose if you mention the details of your previous passport as well, since the expiry date for that previous passport is on record (as per your PR application), and falls within your 5 year eligibility period. In my opinion, being absolutely transparent on this point, would work out better, and leave no room for doubt.

navid2014

Jul 9, 2014
I don't agree with previous messages.
You have to list the passports that were valid during parts of your eligibility period.
That old passport was not. The fact that you renewed it means that it wasn't valid since the day your new passport was issued.

There's nothing new with passports becoming invalid before the original expiration day. It's even the most common case, and IRCC obviously knows about this.

There's also no contradiction with your previous application. The fact that you're going to include a newer passport in itself is a proof that the previous passport wasn't valid anymore. I'm not sure what IRCC would have to ask about here...
If we go with Q 14, it just says list the travel documents or passports during your 5 year eligibility period & it no where mentions that you only need to list valid travel documents or passports.

But if OP would like to go with only valid document then he can definitely go with it.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
If we go with Q 14, it just says list the travel documents or passports during your 5 year eligibility period & it no where mentions that you only need to list valid travel documents or passports.

But if OP would like to go with only valid document then he can definitely go with it.
In the instructions guide, it says

Tell us if you have held passports or travel documents during your five (5) year eligibility period.

• Check either yes or no.
      1. If you check yes, complete the chart Type your valid passport or travel document number exactly as shown on the document. Make sure there is no space between each number or letter.
      2. Select the name of the country or territory that issued your passport or travel document (issuing authority)
      3. the place (city or town) the document was issued
      4. the date the document was issued
      5. the expiry date of the document. Leave blank if there is no expiry date.
    • If you do not have a passport or travel document that was/is valid during your five (5) year eligibility period, tell us why in the explanation box.