Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
aug. 2011
LANDED..........
nov. 2011
I got my PR card in 2012 ( fed.skilled worker) . I lived in Vancouver for 6 months since I got my card. I am currently in India . Going back to Canada entering at Montreal with a valid federal PR card. Will there be any issues? Is there a PR card reading machine at Montreal just like in Vancouver?
Or is there inspection by a real officer? And what questions can I expect? Will there be any questions regarding my intent to live in Quebec?

thanks

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
u

Permanent residents have mobility rights within Canada. You are allowed to move to Montreal. I can't tell you the exact process that you will encounter at the airport (though I've been through it) but it won't be that different from arriving at any other airport as a PR. You will talk to federal employees of CBSA and possibly CIC. They will likely ask you how long you've been out of the country.

You won't be questioned by any Québec immigration people. The CBSA and the CIC will not ask you for a Québec Selection Certificate.

Once you are settled in Québec, you may occasionally run into bureaucrats who request that you provide your Québec Selection Certificate to access a provincial service (including some Emploi-Québec services and french classes). Just tell them that you don't have one since you landed in Vancouver and used to live there. They will figure out some alternative documentation or just let it slide.

I landed in Toronto but moved to Montréal as a PR and haven't had any real problems.

coolbreeze

Star Member
Apr 9, 2011
NEW DELHI, INDIA
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
aug. 2011
LANDED..........
nov. 2011
Thanks Eileenf for the reply.
This is my trial visit to Montreal to see if I can settle there.

1.I do not know any French , will that be a major issue? Or will I be better off living in English speaking neighborhoods?
2.How is the health care in Montreal?
3.How do you compare toronto living to Montreal?

thanks

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
coolbreeze said:
Thanks Eileenf for the reply.
This is my trial visit to Montreal to see if I can settle there.

1.I do not know any French , will that be a major issue? Or will I be better off living in English speaking neighborhoods?
2.How is the health care in Montreal?
3.How do you compare toronto living to Montreal?
1. 80% of the population here speaks French, so you need at least basic French. Please don't move here and be one of those people that argues that they shouldn't have to make any effort to learn French. It's important. You don't need to be fluent to get by, but you do need to be able to learn how to navigate daily life.
You could live on the West Island or in one of the Anglo neighbourhoods, but if you can't say "Bonjour" and "Merci" your life and career prospects will be very limited.
As for work, the possibilities for people with limited French are mostly in Education (English school board, cegeps or universities), service industry, call centres and computer programming or games industry. Also some health care and some national and international companies which have language-law loopholes (like Air Canada, Rio Tinto, etc.)
2. Health care is a bit of a mess in Québec. It's very hard to find a family doctor. Harder than Ontario and I suspect harder than BC.
3. Montreal has way more joie de vivre. People are happier than in Toronto. It's less money and work-focused. People are warmer. Rent is cheaper. The roads have more potholes. It's prettier than Toronto. There's more art, more culture. The food is better (with the exception of Chinese and Korean food, which is way better in Toronto).