+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Old apssport and new passport

dpshah100

Sep 23, 2021
When visa is in the old passport and that passport has expired, we have to take new passport where no visa is visible. Then how can you travel to Canada ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
When visa is in the old passport and that passport has expired, we have to take new passport where no visa is visible. Then how can you travel to Canada ?
You apply for a new visa.

That's the short form - sometimes, some countries might accept a valid visa in an old passport - but it also depends what airline as that may be the biggest barrier. (Doesn't help you at all if someone says Canada will accept if you can't get on your flight)

Usually Canada will not issue visas with a longer validity than the passport into which it's inserted.

So unless you have some specifics, not much anyone can say about whether it might work. General rule, you probably need a new visa.

dpshah100

Sep 23, 2021
You apply for a new visa.

That's the short form - sometimes, some countries might accept a valid visa in an old passport - but it also depends what airline as that may be the biggest barrier. (Doesn't help you at all if someone says Canada will accept if you can't get on your flight)

Usually Canada will not issue visas with a longer validity than the passport into which it's inserted.

So unless you have some specifics, not much anyone can say about whether it might work. General rule, you probably need a new visa.
Thank you for this post. But I have visitor's visa which expires on 12/12/2022, on the same day, my passport also expires. But I want to renew my passport before that because my US visa expired already for which I want to re-aaply with new passport