+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Okay to hold a bank account in Canada?

vineetb

Jul 7, 2021
I've received my ITA for Express entry. I previously lived in Canada on a work permit and still hold a bank account with some funds (<CAD2000).

Is it okay to disclose this account in proof of funds? Or is it not lawful for me to have held this account all this while?

vineetb

Jul 7, 2021
Hi, so I lived there from 2019 to 2021 (23 months) on a work permit.
Yes the bank account is active. Is it okay to disclose it in proof of funds? I was thinking to use it to pay my fee.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Having a Canadian bank account as someone without a permanent status in Canada is a bit of a grey area, I'm assuming you didn't communicate that you were leaving Canada to them.

But as long as it's active you can disclose it as proof of funds, but remember that you need a bank letter from them stipulating the balance for the last 6 months.

vineetb

Jul 7, 2021
How it helped me was to get a refund of my tax returns a few months after I left Canada. If I didn't keep the account, I would have lost about $3,000.

I can get a letter from the bank, no problem. But Canada Revenue Agency knew that my work permit was expiring and I would leave.
They still sent me a tax refund, and that too in the same account.

Should I explain the above in my application? What do you think?

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I don't think it should be a problem.

Opening a bank account if you’re not a Canadian citizen
You may be able to open a bank account with the proper identification in Canada even if:

• you’re not a Canadian citizen
  • you live in another country
You may need to go to the bank in person to open a bank account. Contact the financial institution for more information.

vineetb

Jul 7, 2021
Okay, then I think maintaining it shouldn't be a problem either. Can you please mention the source of the text in your answer?

Thanks a lot. I'll still wait for others' opinion here.

AndyUK

Oct 15, 2022
Not 100% sure but I think it's ok. I'm currently looking at the same thing but in the UK as I will be moving to Canada soon but I want to keep my UK bank account at least for a few months.
From what I've seen so far, it seems like it's mainly down to each bank what kind of account you can keep as a non-resident. Seems to be a bit of a grey area.

vineetb

Jul 7, 2021
@Islander216 The bank has refused to provide me any letters that are stamped over the email. They want me to visit the branch, which I can't.

So the only documents that I have are unstamped bank statement for the last six months. This is, however, for a Canadian bank. What do you think, is it any good? Or shall I skip this information?

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
@Islander216 The bank has refused to provide me any letters that are stamped over the email. They want me to visit the branch, which I can't.

So the only documents that I have are unstamped bank statement for the last six months. This is, however, for a Canadian bank. What do you think, is it any good? Or shall I skip this information?
Can they mail it to you?

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
I've received my ITA for Express entry. I previously lived in Canada on a work permit and still hold a bank account with some funds (<CAD2000).

Is it okay to disclose this account in proof of funds? Or is it not lawful for me to have held this account all this while?
Yes it should be good believing that you had disclosed you had lived and left Canada as per rules permit.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
They will mail it only to my registered address in Canada.
Can you switch your mailing address to a friend's and have it sent to them? Then either they can scan or send it to you by mail/courier.

I know IRCC will accept bank statements in lieu of a bank letter for foreign banks, because not all banks will agree to provide a customized letter which is according to IRCC's requirements. But if it's a Canadian bank, they will probably expect to receive the bank letter according to the criteria stipulated.

Try your best to find a way to get the bank letter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taran D

vineetb

Jul 7, 2021
Thanks Taran. The bank has also confirmed that's it's totally fine to hold the bank account.
Now figuring out how to get the letters for average monthly balance emailed to me.

Reactions: Taran D