+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OINP: You must also have completed more than half of your studies while living and studying in Canada.

gish

Dec 28, 2018
Hi All,

I am stuck with a question that, unfortunately, can't find a clear response to, so being a silent member, I am reaching out to experts. My question is pretty simple, as we are all aware that IRCC recently said they would recognize distance learning for points express entry for the studies completed overseas during COVID.

I checked the OINP website, and for the international student stream, they say, "You must also have completed more than half of your studies while living and studying in Canada.", shouldn't OINP be flexible about the duration as well

My question is it possible that the state and IRCC can have 2 different requirements? If anyone has completed the studies from overseas and applied for OINP, please respond or can DM as well.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi All,

I am stuck with a question that, unfortunately, can't find a clear response to, so being a silent member, I am reaching out to experts. My question is pretty simple, as we are all aware that IRCC recently said they would recognize distance learning for points express entry for the studies completed overseas during COVID.

I checked the OINP website, and for the international student stream, they say, "You must also have completed more than half of your studies while living and studying in Canada.", shouldn't OINP be flexible about the duration as well

My question is it possible that the state and IRCC can have 2 different requirements? If anyone has completed the studies from overseas and applied for OINP, please respond or can DM as well.
OINP is a provincial program, not tied to IRCC/federal policies. The international stream is not an Express Entry stream either. You will have to contact OINP and ask.

gish

Dec 28, 2018
Thank you for your reply. They just gave me their standard answer, refer to the website it has all the details

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

The provinces determine their own requirements / criteria. So yes, it's certainly possible for there to be different requirements between the provincial programs and IRCC. There are many examples of this already across the various PNP programs.

Unless OINP updates their requirements, it's safe to assume they have not changed and more than half of studies must have been completed in Canada to qualify.

Reactions: Naturgrl

QWERTYKING

Star Member
May 16, 2019
Hey guys. Did you get any update or response from Ontario for this issue? It's 2023 now and I feel like alot of students that studied in their respective home countries due to the pandemic will just not be able to apply for this stream and that'll cause a lot of headaches.