+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OINP - work experience calculation to meet FSWP

dannyhcean

Star Member
Feb 23, 2016
Hi all,

Highly conmplicated here - in order for a candidate to get OINP nomination under FSWP, he/she must meet FSWP criteria. However according to OINP guide, they apply these FSWP criteria with a little difference from the federal criteria, especially about what experiences count and don't count.

1. original FSWP criteria (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-factors.asp)

Your work experience must be:

•at least one year (1,560 hours total / 30 hours per week), continuous full-time or an equal amount in part-time,
•paid work (volunteer work, unpaid internships do not count),
•in the same job,
within the last 10 years, and
•at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 National Occupational Classification (NOC).

then you get XZY points according to number of years of experiences you have

2. Ontario EE HCP Guide 2.1.1.
"All applicants are required to have a minimum level of work experience. Please ensure that you provide supporting documentation (see Appendix 5) to demonstrate that you have work experience in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) code indicated in your Express Entry profile with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. The NOC code in your application should be the same as the primary NOC code in your profile. If there is a discrepancy between what is provided in your application and in your Express Entry profile, you will be assessed against the NOC code in your Express Entry profile.”

Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) - If you choose to be assessed against the FSWP criteria, you must be able to demonstrate that your work experience meets the following requirements:
  • Work experience was continuous and at least one year in length,
  • Note: Work experience must be acquired over a period of at least one year; work in excess of 30 hours per week over a shorter period cannot compensate for any shorter overall period of experience.
  • Work experience was full-time (minimum of 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1,560 hours) or the equivalent in part-time (minimum of 15 hours/week for 24 months or 30 hours/week for 12 months in multiple concurrent jobs = 1,560 hours),
  • Work experience was paid (volunteer work and unpaid internships do not count)
  • Work experience was in Skill Type 0 or Skill Levels A or B of the National Occupation Classification (NOC).
  • At least one year of your work experience was in the same NOC occupation, and
  • Work experience was obtained within the last five years from the date of your Notification of Interest from Ontario.
Note: Your continuous full-time or part-time work experience may consist of multiple back-to-back jobs with the same or different employer(s) (with no gap in between) provided that at least one year of your work experience was in the same NOC occupation and you included this occupation as your primary NOC in your Express Entry profile.

Under the FSWP criteria, your work experience may have been obtained in Canada or overseas provided that it meets the FSWP criteria.

Conclusion from above: If I am applying for OINP and chose to be evaluated against FSWP, only my experiences associated to my primary NOC would count, and these experiences have to be within the past FIVE years.

My question is, I am actually apply with two NOCs - NOC1 was for job A within the past 5 years, and lasted for a full year. For NOC2 I had multiple years' of experiences associate to it but it was before 2012 (thus not within the 'last 5 years - no good for QINP criteria) but within the past 10 year period (good for the CIC criteria). In this situation, under OINP FSWP criteria, do I just get one-year experience recognized or multiple years ( (in order to get 67 out of 100 for FSWP)? Remember that I have to pick one as my 'primary NOC.

BillHyatt

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Toronto
What I believe is that it doesn't make difference to your Scores in EE. If you have at least one year (same NOC) of experience in the last five years then you don't need to worry. OINP will be fine with that. However, you should wait for others to give their expert advice.

dannyhcean

Star Member
Feb 23, 2016
What I believe is that it doesn't make difference to your Scores in EE. If you have at least one year (same NOC) of experience in the last five years then you don't need to worry. OINP will be fine with that. However, you should wait for others to give their expert advice.
Appreciate the reply!

I think the real question/confusion is how OINP evaluates candidates' work experience against FSWP criteria There are two understandings here.

1) whether the candidates pass the minimum one year full time in the past five years hurdle? And then they just check whether the applicant get the minimum 67/100 against the CIC FSWP criteria - experience in the past 10 years count, not 5.

Or

2) apply the candidates' primary NOC experience in the past FIVE years against the FSWP experience points grid (9 points for one year, 11 points for 2-3 years, 13 points for 4-5 years), and see whether the candidates get minimum 67/100?

Not sure if I made it more complicated than it actually is.

Thanks!

a_sharath

Dec 15, 2019
Appreciate the reply!

I think the real question/confusion is how OINP evaluates candidates' work experience against FSWP criteria There are two understandings here.

1) whether the candidates pass the minimum one year full time in the past five years hurdle? And then they just check whether the applicant get the minimum 67/100 against the CIC FSWP criteria - experience in the past 10 years count, not 5.

Or

2) apply the candidates' primary NOC experience in the past FIVE years against the FSWP experience points grid (9 points for one year, 11 points for 2-3 years, 13 points for 4-5 years), and see whether the candidates get minimum 67/100?

Not sure if I made it more complicated than it actually is.

Thanks!

any update? even i have the same query... is your OINP application approved ?