+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OINP PR approved but wanted to apply for citizenship and have questio regarding the condition on OINP

david70mn

Apr 17, 2022
I've been approved for OINP and PR approved as well based on OINP.

But, OINP nomination certificate has this condition

1) You continue to demonstrate on a reasonable basis an intention to reside in
Ontario.

So my question over here is

1) Can I travel to my home country for few months and work from there for 4 months and pay taxes to Ontario?

Am I voilating any rule over here?

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Sounds fine to me. It's not like you're leaving Ontario forever - will you continue to have a lease and strong connections to Ontario aside from your employment?

Per CIC:

To keep your permanent resident status, you must have been in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years. These 730 days don’t need to be continuous. Some of your time abroad may count towards the 730 days. See can my time abroad count towards my permanent resident status?

david70mn

Apr 17, 2022
Yes, I am just going to home country for 4 months - personal reason

Yes, I have lease, job, active credit and debit cards and sister who's living in Ontario.

Are these sufficient to show?

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Yes, I am just going to home country for 4 months - personal reason

Yes, I have lease, job, active credit and debit cards and sister who's living in Ontario.

Are these sufficient to show?
Yep I wouldn't worry about it - you have plenty of evidence to demonstrate that you're keeping strong ties to Ontario and that's the thing that matters most. The only consequence is that your path to citizenship may be delayed by 4 months (I don't know how IRCC looks at remote work) as you're working outside Canada of your own volition rather than for a Canadian company who has posted you to your home/another country. You're allowed to go home for personal reasons!

Your concern about keeping PR will only be a concern if you're leaving Ontario to permanently go to another province in which case they may ask questions about whether you had a genuine intention to reside in Ontario in the first place.

Reactions: david70mn