+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OINP: Passport Validty

kikori

Feb 6, 2015
I was just reading the passport requirements section (page 16) of http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/prodconsum/groups/csc/@oipp/documents/document/oi_en_hcps.pdf
and I noticed that it says "Your passport should be valid for at least two more years".

Is that a strict requirement? My passport is gonna expire in Mid 2017. I can renew it, but I feel like its going to delay my application. I really want to submit the OINP application ASAP.

kushpri

Sep 26, 2015
Hi, I had the same issue when I applied for OINP so before I got nomination I got email from OINP to explain why I did not renew my passport and I replied them I could renew passport only one year before its expiry according to passport renewal rules and they were ok with the answer and I received nomination within 90 days.

narayanf1

Dec 8, 2015
Mumbai
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mine is same. My passport expires in Feb 2017. However, Government of India does not reissue passport before 1 year from expiry date. I explained this in a Letter of Explanation and assured them that I will apply for reissue right after I meet the 1 year requirement. I am yet to send the documents.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I already got my OINP nomination and sent the APR to CIC. Now I intend to renew my passport as it'll expire at the end of this year. Obviously I have to update CIC via CSE, but should I still update OINP with the new passport even after getting nominated?

Aragorn165

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2016
Nomination.....
03-11-2015
AOR Received.
04-03-2016
Passport Req..
02-09-2016
Hi,
When I applied for OINP, I had the exact same issue. I explained to them that I would be applying for a renewal soon, and that that would take some time, so please accept the passport I have right now as is; if necessary, I offered to submit details on my renewed passport once I had it in hand.
They never asked for the renewed one. This is mostly a 'soft' requirement, they want to make sure your passport won't be expired by the time you are done with the immigration process, leading you to be stranded or unable to travel. Don't worry about it, just write an explanation on this in your cover letter.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Aragorn165 said:
Hi,
When I applied for OINP, I had the exact same issue. I explained to them that I would be applying for a renewal soon, and that that would take some time, so please accept the passport I have right now as is; if necessary, I offered to submit details on my renewed passport once I had it in hand.
They never asked for the renewed one. This is mostly a 'soft' requirement, they want to make sure your passport won't be expired by the time you are done with the immigration process, leading you to be stranded or unable to travel. Don't worry about it, just write an explanation on this in your cover letter.
I already did exactly what you did and got the nomination. I'm done with the OINP application process. I guess I can imply from your case that it's not necessary. My reason for not renewing was that there was a supply issue in my country so I wouldn't get it within 45 days.

I recall reading on their site that they still require updates to personal information even in cases after the nomination. I'm sure this refers to instances like getting married or having a child, but renewing a passport, I'm not 100% sure. I don't recall where exactly I read it, but I skimmed through the application guide, and I couldn't find it.

Aragorn165

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2016
Nomination.....
03-11-2015
AOR Received.
04-03-2016
Passport Req..
02-09-2016
bellaluna said:
I don't think you understood my situation: I already got the nomination certificate from Ontario, so I'm done with the application process, so I don't need to write a cover letter. I recall reading on their site that they still require updates to personal information even in cases after the nomination is one of them. I'm sure this refers to instances like getting married or having a child, but renewing a passport, I'm not 100% sure.
Sorry, I was only replying to the original post in the thread.
Anyway, I do not think the provincial programs need any more information- I did scour the entire OINP site, and I do not find any instance of them asking for updated information post nomination. I believe that in this case, this kind of updated information should be submitted directly to CIC, since they are now the ones handling your entry into the country.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Aragorn165 said:
Sorry, I was only replying to the original post in the thread.
Anyway, I do not think the provincial programs need any more information- I did scour the entire OINP site, and I do not find any instance of them asking for updated information post nomination. I believe that in this case, this kind of updated information should be submitted directly to CIC, since they are now the ones handling your entry into the country.
Thanks. Sorry you had to see the abrupt version of my response; I've since edited my earlier reply to better explain my situation and I since understood you may have been replying not to me directly. But I got an idea as well from your answer anyway. :)

Aragorn165

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2016
Nomination.....
03-11-2015
AOR Received.
04-03-2016
Passport Req..
02-09-2016
bellaluna said:
Thanks. Sorry you had to see the abrupt version of my response; I've since edited my earlier reply to better explain my situation and I since understood you may have been replying not to me directly. But I got an idea as well from your answer anyway. :)
No problem haha :)
Hope things work out great for you now!

Feb 4, 2021
I already got my OINP nomination and sent the APR to CIC. Now I intend to renew my passport as it'll expire at the end of this year. Obviously I have to update CIC via CSE, but should I still update OINP with the new passport even after getting nominated?
Did you require to inform oinp for your passport renwal? Also confirm you got pr without any issue for renewed passport after oinp.

Reactions: vcb1988