+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OINP International Student Stream: Convince company to provide employer form

bmanirudh

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
I really want to apply to the OINP Employer Job Offer: International Student Stream. And, lo and behold, my company would not provide me the Employer form filled and signed. Has anybody ever faced this issue? If yes, how did you convince your company? What could be the reason for rejecting this seemingly simple request?

Reactions: Bigdream2020

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I really want to apply to the OINP Employer Job Offer: International Student Stream. And, lo and behold, my company would not provide me the Employer form filled and signed. Has anybody ever faced this issue? If yes, how did you convince your company? What could be the reason for rejecting this seemingly simple request?
It is not a simple request. Have you seen the information that may be required of the company? See their link.

https://www.ontario.ca/document/oinp-document-checklists/employer-job-offer-streams-employer-checklist

You have to convince them that you are invaluable, will stay for many years and that they cannot hire anyone with your expertise in Ontario who is a citizen of PR.

bmanirudh

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
It is not a simple request. Have you seen the information that may be required of the company? See their link.

https://www.ontario.ca/document/oinp-document-checklists/employer-job-offer-streams-employer-checklist

You have to convince them that you are invaluable, will stay for many years and that they cannot hire anyone with your expertise in Ontario who is a citizen of PR.
An exception is provided for many of those complicated requirements for the International Student Stream, because of the natural expectation that students will have limited experience in Canada. In that case, wouldn't you think it is feasible?
As for staying many years at the company, well, there is no tangible proof anybody can provide other than having stayed at the company for years. Which ultimately, reduces my dependency on the company to apply for PR.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
An exception is provided for many of those complicated requirements for the International Student Stream, because of the natural expectation that students will have limited experience in Canada. In that case, wouldn't you think it is feasible?
As for staying many years at the company, well, there is no tangible proof anybody can provide other than having stayed at the company for years. Which ultimately, reduces my dependency on the company to apply for PR.
What does limited experience have to do with the employer? So you need to talk to your HR person because assume your employer meets requirements. Where did you read about exceptions? People have posted on her about their employer being asked for additional information. Ultimately it is the employer’s decision whether to support your nomination. Have they done it in the past for someone else? Or does it set a precedence for the future? Again talk to head of HR about how supporting your nomination will help them keep an invaluable employee.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Some large companies simply have a policy that they will only provide their standard employment confirmation letters and won't do anything beyond what is already provided as a standard document from HR. If this is your situation, it's pretty much a lost cause unfortunately and you need to look at other PR streams. They can only provide what corporate policies allow and you'll be wasting time trying to get anything else out of them.

Smaller companies don't always understand what this is and may feel it commits them to something they aren't comfortable committing to. If that is your situation, then see if you can win over your people manager and then have a meeting with HR to explain what is being requested, why, and what this commits them to.

Of course there are other scenarios. However those are the main two.

Reactions: bmanirudh

bmanirudh

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
What does limited experience have to do with the employer? So you need to talk to your HR person because assume your employer meets requirements. Where did you read about exceptions? People have posted on her about their employer being asked for additional information. Ultimately it is the employer’s decision whether to support your nomination. Have they done it in the past for someone else? Or does it set a precedence for the future? Again talk to head of HR about how supporting your nomination will help them keep an invaluable employee.
The international student stream does not require LMIAs or proof of efforts to hire a PR/Citizen. That's only what I was referring to.
Sure, conversations going on right now. Will update this thread if anything changes.

bmanirudh

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
Some large companies simply have a policy that they will only provide their standard employment confirmation letters and won't do anything beyond what is already provided as a standard document from HR. If this is your situation, it's pretty much a lost cause unfortunately and you need to look at other PR streams. They can only provide what corporate policies allow and you'll be wasting time trying to get anything else out of them.

Smaller companies don't always understand what this is and may feel it commits them to something they aren't comfortable committing to. If that is your situation, then see if you can win over your people manager and then have a meeting with HR to explain what is being requested, why, and what this commits them to.

Of course there are other scenarios. However those are the main two.
Definitely well said. Will try and see what happens. I was just hoping to see someone who was successful in my mission before me here. Maybe I could be the one.
Appreciate the suggestions! Thanks!

Reactions: Bigdream2020

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Definitely well said. Will try and see what happens. I was just hoping to see someone who was successful in my mission before me here. Maybe I could be the one.
Appreciate the suggestions! Thanks!
Do you by any chance work for one of the big banks?

bmanirudh

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
Do you by any chance work for one of the big banks?
I do work for a big company. Which does put me in your 'less hopeful' bucket. But, HR seems to be supportive. In the end, it's a very weak beacon of hope.
Can't hurt to try is my motto going forward here. Also, preparing to have a big 'No' so nothing can disappoint me in that case.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I do work for a big company. Which does put me in your 'less hopeful' bucket. But, HR seems to be supportive. In the end, it's a very weak beacon of hope.
Can't hurt to try is my motto going forward here. Also, preparing to have a big 'No' so nothing can disappoint me in that case.
There's absolutely no harm in trying.

I asked if it was one of the big banks because to the best of my knowledge, it's a lost cause with all of them and won't happen.

Good luck and hope it works out!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
And yeah, HR is often great - it's a matter of whether their policies allow them to do this. Big companies are much more likely to have very specific policies about what can and cannot be provided. So no matter how nice or supportive someone is, sometimes there are things they simply are not allowed to do.

Good luck again.

soniclife

Star Member
Aug 12, 2020
I have faced this.. Got international student stream around feb and my employer was not ready to provide all the documents and some they didn't have.. they were not ready to keep a legal counsel to look at all the documentation.
So I withdrew the application and decided to wait in express entry

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
i am sailing in the same boat. Did you succeed buddy?
Do you work for one of the big banks? If so, then unfortunately it's never going to happen and you'll need to apply for PR through a different immigration stream.