+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OINP - Common-law partner

Dalresin

Jan 24, 2023
Hello everybody. I just got an invitation to apply from Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program under Internation Student Stream (through their portal, it is not a EE stream). But I cannot find any information about PR for my common-law partner.
Can she also receive it like in EE? Or this provincial nomination is for me only?

UPD. I called them, and they said it is just a nomination and I will have to apply to IRCC after I get it. Any information about it? Will I be a sponsor for my partner or we get PRs together as in EE?

Last edited:

Parthkumar Patel

Star Member
Jan 18, 2023
Hello everybody. I just got an invitation to apply from Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program under Internation Student Stream (through their portal, it is not a EE stream). But I cannot find any information about PR for my common-law partner.
Can she also receive it like in EE? Or this provincial nomination is for me only?

UPD. I called them, and they said it is just a nomination and I will have to apply to IRCC after I get it. Any information about it? Will I be a sponsor for my partner or we get PRs together as in EE?
I mentioned about my wife accompanying while applying for nomination from OINP Master's Stream, still there is no details for her in nomination letter. But I have mentioned again she accompanying and paid her fees and submitted her documents as well, as she is my dependent and submit a PR application together for both. You can select that your spouse is accompanying and submit your application according to me. You can use details or guide on the IRCC portal.

prsoon0595

Jan 18, 2024
Hello! Can I get help on a similar question?

(The answer is likely no but) would adding a common law partner to PR application AFTER receiving OINP's 600 points negatively impact the scores?

My boyfriend already has his OINP 600 points added to EE profile, got selected and received ITA, and realized that I'm not included as a common law partner. I want to make sure adding me now won't negatively impact his application in any way. Thank you!

Shobhitverma

Jan 9, 2024
I also have a similar query:
Me and my gf both created our OINP profile individually and got the invitation to apply. However, her employer supported her application and my employer is not supporting my application.

We are planning to make myself as co applicant in her application and my question is that, should she apply in OINP along with me ? I am confused becasue we created the profile individually and now when applying adding a common law partner. How should I go for it?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I also have a similar query:
Me and my gf both created our OINP profile individually and got the invitation to apply. However, her employer supported her application and my employer is not supporting my application.

We are planning to make myself as co applicant in her application and my question is that, should she apply in OINP along with me ? I am confused becasue we created the profile individually and now when applying adding a common law partner. How should I go for it?
So you applied as single but really are common law. So you misrepresented yourselves? How long have you been common law? You need to show leases/rental agreements, house ownership, bank accounts, utilities, life insurance policies as examples. Also you had filed taxes as common law too.

Shobhitverma

Jan 9, 2024
We are living together for 1 and a half year and have shared lease agreement and we have opened a joint account recently. We have driver's license with same address.
I am gonna add her to the utilies bill too.
She still need to apply for oinp. We have got the invitation to apply. In the application she is gonna make me the common law. Will that work ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
We are living together for 1 and a half year and have shared lease agreement and we have opened a joint account recently. We have driver's license with same address.
I am gonna add her to the utilies bill too.
She still need to apply for oinp. We have got the invitation to apply. In the application she is gonna make me the common law. Will that work ?
So is the lease agreement the only document you have lived together continuously for at least a year? Adding her to utility bills and just opening a bank account doesn’t show comomon law. If lease is the only thing, not sure that is enough. https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=347&top=14

So then you have filed taxes in 2021 and 2022 as common law? If not, you need to redo your taxes.