+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP

Lemonja

Aug 18, 2020
Hi there,
Has anyone applied for and received OHIP while applying for PR?

I have a private insurance now but its going to expire in 2 months and I don’t think my immigration process complete by then due to COVID 19 delay:-(

To apply for OHIP, I noticed that IRCC document , which is issued at the almost final stage of PR process, is required.

I am March-Inland 2020 applicant and still at very early stage of PR process (received email of AOR yesterday, not received work permit yet).

Do you think still I can apply for OHIP??

thanks!

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
Hi there,

I have a private insurance now but its going to expire in 2 months and I don’t think my immigration process complete by then due to COVID 19 delay:-(

To apply for OHIP, I noticed that IRCC document , which is issued at the almost final stage of PR process, is required.

I am March-Inland 2020 applicant and still at very early stage of PR process (received email of AOR yesterday, not received work permit yet).

thanks!
Unfortunately Ontario is strict about issuing OHIP, so you're only going to be eligible for it when:

1) You receive your OWP and you can show the representative at Service Ontario that you have a written offer for a job lasting 6 month or more

OR

2) You are Approved in Principle (AIP), which is a step in the PR process that comes towards the end of everything. You can take the printed AIP letter and present it to apply for OHIP.

If you want to keep your private insurance, you should plan on extending it for at least 4-5 months, as that's how long an OWP takes to receive (nevermind a job offer). I am in the same situation as you, but I never received an OWP, so I've had private Visitor's insurance for about a year now :-(

Lemonja

Aug 18, 2020
I wrote a post about a similar problem we had. check it out. it might be similar to your case if you're here on a work visa.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/ohip-coverage-during-implied-status.386638/post-8863146

TLDR, if you think you're entitled to OHIP but the service ontario person says you arent then another option is to contact the ohip review board, which is what we did.
Thank you for your reply!! My friend who is also applying for PR now is pregnant. So this information is helpful!!

Lemonja

Aug 18, 2020
Unfortunately Ontario is strict about issuing OHIP, so you're only going to be eligible for it when:

1) You receive your OWP and you can show the representative at Service Ontario that you have a written offer for a job lasting 6 month or more

OR

2) You are Approved in Principle (AIP), which is a step in the PR process that comes towards the end of everything. You can take the printed AIP letter and present it to apply for OHIP.

If you want to keep your private insurance, you should plan on extending it for at least 4-5 months, as that's how long an OWP takes to receive (nevermind a job offer). I am in the same situation as you, but I never received an OWP, so I've had private Visitor's insurance for about a year now :-(
Me, neither . I still have not received OWP:-((( so as other member said, I will try to contact OHIP review board probably next month....

Reactions: PrincessButtercup

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your reply!! My friend who is also applying for PR now is pregnant. So this information is helpful!!
Given the delays in processing she may not get to AIP before delivery. Really depends on how far she is in the process and whether she is working.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

OR

Think you need proof that you are working a job that lasts over 6 months. A job offer would not be sufficient because it could fall through.

Reactions: PrincessButtercup

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there,

thanks!
Unless you get OWP and start working in a job that is over 6 months long you are likely going to be waitng between 6-12 monthe before you get AIP.