+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP

kahlon00

Nov 17, 2019
Hi!
I have applied for my permanent residency few days ago. I live in ontario. Can I apply for my heath card in ontario? If i can, which documents do i need. I don’t have a job letter. Can I show them my Invitation sent by CIC. Or do I need some other documents. Plz help me.
Thanks

21singh

Jun 12, 2017
TORONTO
Category........
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2018
LANDED..........
27-06-2018
Hi!
I have applied for my permanent residency few days ago. I live in ontario. Can I apply for my heath card in ontario? If i can, which documents do i need. I don’t have a job letter. Can I show them my Invitation sent by CIC. Or do I need some other documents. Plz help me.
Thanks
Hi,

If you are in Ontario, definitely you can apply for the OHIP.
However, your coverage would start after 90 days of your Date of Landing.

Documents:
1. Permanent Resident Card or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR)
2. Ontario Driver’s Licence

No, invitation sent by CIC is not considered as a Document.

Good Luck

Priyank09

Jan 28, 2018
Hi,

I just got my PR approved some days back and wanted to apply for OHIP, but service Ontario office's seem to be closed is there any online way where I can do the application process? And does anyone know if service Ontario is considering appointments for OHIP applications?

Thanks in advance.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016

elisa222

Mar 23, 2018
I really find this forum great! I have a question for my parents who got their PR in march 2019 and have been in Canada since ( thanks to covid!). When you fulfill the 3 years for citizenship, can you stay outside of Canada for more than 6 months without losing the OHIP coverage? What about before the 3 years? id it 6 months at a time for everyone and every scenario? They are retired, so no studies or work trips, just visits.
I have heard that you do not lose the Ohip for good, you just have to reapply and wait 3 months again. Thank you so much.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I really find this forum great! I have a question for my parents who got their PR in march 2019 and have been in Canada since ( thanks to covid!). When you fulfill the 3 years for citizenship, can you stay outside of Canada for more than 6 months without losing the OHIP coverage? What about before the 3 years? id it 6 months at a time for everyone and every scenario? They are retired, so no studies or work trips, just visits.
I have heard that you do not lose the Ohip for good, you just have to reapply and wait 3 months again. Thank you so much.
After the first year you can usually stay out of Canada for 7 months. You May want to doublecheck but I believe I am correct. If they leave for a longer period they will need to reapply and wait for 3 months again. These rules are the same whether they are PRs or citizens. They should buy travel medical insurance when out of Canads.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you so much for your answer! I feel better now!
This is a great link too, very helpful !
https://www.ontario.ca/page/ohip-coverage-while-outside-canada#:~:text=If you plan to be,before you leave the country
The link is more about coverage outside Canada. OHIP used to offer a bit of coverage out of Canada. Never applied to be reimbursed because the paperwork wasn’t worth the money I’d get back. It was an underused service and that’s why it was closed. Attached a more relevant link.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/short_absence.aspx

Jane2019

Star Member
Jun 2, 2019
Has anyone used the mail from the bank -- essentially the first mail when they send you your card -- as POA for SIN or OHIP?
SIN POA requirement seems a bit more relaxed than OHIP:

-- SIN --
"a letter or document from a financial institution (bank statement, credit card statement, mortgage contract or statement, etc.)"
----

-- OHIP --
"
monthly mailed bank account statements for savings or chequing accounts
* does not include receipts, bank books, letters or automated teller receipts
"
----

It's weird that bank 'letters' are not accepted for OHIP - whatever they might mean by 'letters'..

Mariyasp

Feb 4, 2020
I am on PGWP and i have my OHIP health card. My husband is on Visitor Record. Is he eligible for OHIP?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am on PGWP and i have my OHIP health card. My husband is on Visitor Record. Is he eligible for OHIP?
No, he is not eligible.

If you have a NOC A, B or 0 job, he should apply for an open work permit.