+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP while on implied status

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Just to clarify this topic for the CEC applicants:
If you’re on implied status because you current work permit expired and you PR application still in progress you actually could be eligible for OHIP renewal. I quoted some of the info from the below thread; however it’s only for sponsorship applications.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/important-ohip-eligibility-info-for-all-pr-applicants-residing-in-ontario-t56695.180.html

As long as you’re currently working and applied for bridge open work permit, you can get OHIP. Despite all the negative opinion and articles that said you can’t get OHIP until you get the new work permit. I have done it and succeed it. So do the following:

1. Book an appointment with Service Ontario Office to renew OHIP. (Cane be done online)
2. Take the following documents with you:
a. Current work permit
b. Employment letter
c. Utility bill / ID (verify name & address)
d. Official receipt that you applied for open work permit
e. CIC AOR letter (the first letter/email you received from CIC regarding your application is been in process)
3. The service Ontario agent will probably say NO to you, so ask for the rejection letter (trust me they do not know what this mean) or ask the officer to stamp your renewal letter (something to confirm you were there to renew OHIP)
4. Take all your document and go home, prepare the following package:
a. write an appeal letter to the OHIP Eligibility Review Committee
b. Letter I wrote:

Dear OHIP Eligibility Review Committer officer,
My Name: XXX
My Home Address: XXX Ontario, Canada.
My Home Phone#: XXXX
I am applying for the sponsored immigration application as a permanent resident in Canada, the sponsorship was approved by CIC (see appendix), the immigration application was submitted at XXX, and the immigration application is STILL in process.

I went to the OHIP office in XXX for OHIP Eligibility Assessment, and the result is NO, which I disagree. So I request the review.
The law: Regulation 552: Health Insurance Act
5. Being a person who has submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada to the proper federal government authority, even if the application has not yet been approved, as long as Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that the person meets the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residency in Canada, and the application has not yet been denied.
Because the CEC application is the “different stages Application, i.e. (1) Eligibility, (2) Medical”, so, as long as the application is approved by CIC (see Appendix), then the immigration applicant is ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR the immigration application. (Please note: “eligible for immigration” is NOT the requirement.)

5. You can also state any serious medical issues such as, pregnancy, to strengthen your appeal.
6. Mail or fax the package to:
OHIP Eligibility Review Committee Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
1055 Princess Street
PO Box 168
Kingston, ON
K7L 5T3
Fax: (613) 548-6557

Simply, just don’t take NO for an answer, best of luck to all

t3silver

Nov 12, 2014
Hi,

If you’re on implied status because you current work permit expired and you PR application still in progress you actually could be eligible for OHIP renewal. I quoted some of the info from the below thread; however it’s only for sponsorship applications.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/important-ohip-eligibility-info-for-all-pr-applicants-residing-in-ontario-t56695.180.html

As long as you’re currently working and applied for bridge open work permit, you can get OHIP. Despite all the negative opinion and articles that said you can’t get OHIP until you get the new work permit. I have done it and succeed it. So do the following:

1. Book an appointment with Service Ontario Office to renew OHIP. (Cane be done online)
a. Current work permit
b. Employment letter
e. CIC AOR letter (the first letter/email you received from CIC regarding your application is been in process)
3. The service Ontario agent will probably say NO to you, so ask for the rejection letter (trust me they do not know what this mean) or ask the officer to stamp your renewal letter (something to confirm you were there to renew OHIP)
b. Letter I wrote:

I am applying for the sponsored immigration application as a permanent resident in Canada, the sponsorship was approved by CIC (see appendix), the immigration application was submitted at XXX, and the immigration application is STILL in process.

I went to the OHIP office in XXX for OHIP Eligibility Assessment, and the result is NO, which I disagree. So I request the review.
5. Being a person who has submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada to the proper federal government authority, even if the application has not yet been approved, as long as Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that the person meets the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residency in Canada, and the application has not yet been denied.
Because the CEC application is the “different stages Application, i.e. (1) Eligibility, (2) Medical”, so, as long as the application is approved by CIC (see Appendix), then the immigration applicant is ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR the immigration application. (Please note: “eligible for immigration” is NOT the requirement.)

5. You can also state any serious medical issues such as, pregnancy, to strengthen your appeal.
1055 Princess Street
PO Box 168
Kingston, ON
K7L 5T3

How long did it take for them to reply ? I'm currently in the same situation.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi,

a. Current work permit
b. Employment letter
b. Letter I wrote:

1055 Princess Street
PO Box 168
Kingston, ON
K7L 5T3

Good for you! OHIP never updated its guidelines after EE was implemented, so OHIP staff do not have proper guidance on how to deal with EE applicants (you don't get the paperwork that applicants used to get under the old system). It is clear that from IRCC's perspective, the intent is that you are eligible.

indiabull

Oct 10, 2018
canada
Category........
NOC Code......
I just saw this today after returning from service ontario, brampton.
I went there, the lady at the counter did not knew what to do so she faxed my PR AOR to someone and called them as well and finally informed me that it cannot be done.
I will definitely try this and update here

dheepaksutti

Nov 30, 2018
I just saw this today after returning from service ontario, brampton.
I went there, the lady at the counter did not knew what to do so she faxed my PR AOR to someone and called them as well and finally informed me that it cannot be done.
I will definitely try this and update here

Did you try and what was the final update

sethtammy

Star Member
May 16, 2019
Just got back from ServiceOntario at 777 Bay Street, Toronto a minute ago and I got rejected to renew my OHIP that will be expired at the same time as my current WP. A staff told me that they don't accept AoR issued by IRCC as my immigration document supporting my OHIP renewal. They asked me to wait until I get PR card to renew my OHIP and if there is a gap between my OHIP expiration and no PR card, I can use my own money for healthcare expenses and get reimbursement later. I think that the health insurance system of the provinces hasn't been updated for the people who are applying PR under EE, and now for those who are waiting for their PR application approved while on implied status and still working and paying taxes for the federal and the province where they are living and working are ignored by the lack of consistency from the federal and provinces.

MR12

Aug 26, 2019
Thank you for your posts, very helpful.

Is there any alternate way to get extension on OHIP while on implied status ?, We (me & spouse) are in same situation. We working full time, our OHIP is going to expire with my permit in couple of days. I am looking for ways to get extension on OHIP.
Any guidance on this is appreciative.

sethtammy

Star Member
May 16, 2019
There is no way to get your OHIP renewed until you have a new work permit or get an approval confirmation for your PR application from IRCC. It is what I was told by a staff at ServiceOntario.