+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP when working remotely for employer outside Ontario

gosia247

Feb 17, 2023
Hi folks. I just came back from Service Ontario in Cornwall where I was told I am not eligible for OHIP even if I'm working from home in Ontario because my employer's premises are in BC. I remember reading here how people got their OHIP where they said the employer doesn't necessarily need to have an Ontario office.

Is it enough that I work here and will pay my taxes here, could anyone confirm?

Also I am a temporary worker with a valid permit.

Thanks a lot.

I'm pregnant and planning to work all the time full-time throughout the pregnancy and once my baby arrives, just hoping I won't have to pay a lot of money to give birth.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi folks. I just came back from Service Ontario in Cornwall where I was told I am not eligible for OHIP even if I'm working from home in Ontario because my employer's premises are in BC. I remember reading here how people got their OHIP where they said the employer doesn't necessarily need to have an Ontario office.

Thanks a lot.

I'm pregnant and planning to work all the time full-time throughout the pregnancy and once my baby arrives, just hoping I won't have to pay a lot of money to give birth.
Are you on a work permit? If so, then I'm not sure this is possible. There was another discussion on this topic recently:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/cant-have-access-to-ontario-medicare.791192/

gosia247

Feb 17, 2023
Are you on a work permit? If so, then I'm not sure this is possible. There was another discussion on this topic recently:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/cant-have-access-to-ontario-medicare.791192/
Thanks scylla, that's right, I am on a temporary work permit. I remember reading people saying they have managed to get their OHIP based on working in Ontario as long as the letter from their employer stated it so I'm hoping anybody who had that experience could guide me on what to try next.

Reactions: scylla

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Because Ontario isn’t getting your payroll taxes , BC is . Hence Ontario won’t enroll you

“Employee does not report to your establishment
If your employee does not have to report to your establishment in person (for example, the employment contract says the employee works from a home office), the employee’s province or territory of employment is the one from where your employee’s salary and wages are paid. This will normally be the location of your payroll department or payroll records.”

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thanks a lot.

You were correctly denied. You qualify for healthcare in BC. If you are on a WP you are also expected to live in the location stated on your WP or is this an OWP? If someone on a closed WP could work remotely then there would be no need to live in Canada people could work remotely from your home country like many already do for Canadian employers. If you are on an OWP you have 2 options: move to BC or get a job in Ontario.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks scylla, that's right, I am on a temporary work permit. I remember reading people saying they have managed to get their OHIP based on working in Ontario as long as the letter from their employer stated it so I'm hoping anybody who had that experience could guide me on what to try next.
That is likely for PRs and citizens.

rafim1

Nov 10, 2023

Also I am a temporary worker with a valid permit.

Thanks a lot.

Hello, did you manage to get OHIP? If not then did you find an insurance that would cover your pregnancy? Thanks

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello, did you manage to get OHIP? If not then did you find an insurance that would cover your pregnancy? Thanks
Only possible insurance that will cover pregnancy is the one that was purchased and started the coverage before insurer gets pregnant.

Reactions: rafim1

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Only possible insurance that will cover pregnancy is the one that was purchased and started the coverage before insurer gets pregnant.
Will be curious to see what you find and how much the policy costs especially if purchasing the policy for personal use versus purchased by a corporate client. The majority of these policies are purchased by businesses at lower rates. I know purchasing extended benefit plans in Canada rarely make sense because coverage is pretty minimal and is expensive while rates are much lower if extended benefit plans are purchased through an employer. May not actually make sense to buy a comprehensive policy that covers pregnancy depending on the cost of the policy. Briefly looked up some of the policies. This comprehensive policy excludes care in the US which would reduce the cost but excludes pregnancy coverage. Assume many will because covering pregnancy will be expensive for insurance companies and many will purchase a policy because they plan on getting pregnant or else most would opt for policies with emergency coverage only. Will be interested to hear what OP finds and the cost.

https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/pdf_docs/certs/samples/SAMPLE_XplorerEssential_0007.pdf