Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
16-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-05-2013
LANDED..........
very soon!!
Hello, hope I am in the right section. I was not quite sure where to post. I have an employee who has submitted her PR application a while ago and she is still waiting for a response. This being said, she has the right to work in Canada and she has a work permit. She currently has a full time job and resides in Ontario. Her employer is located in another Canadian province and she is teleworking like thousands of other people in Canada. This being said, since she is not working for an Ontario business or I should say a business who has an address in Ontario, she cannot benefit the Ontario Medicare Program AND since she does not reside in the province of her employer, she cannot access the Medicare Program of that province, so she is left out without any health care. She has been several times to Service Ontario explaining that her employer is not in Ontario but in another province and that she is teleworking but they would not accept that, their rules/policies say that her employer must have an address in Ontario. I, as her manager, am trying to find a solution as it is a very stressfull situation for her and her family. Any ideas or suggestions of things we can do in this case? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I would love to remove that stress off her shoulders and since she lives in Ontario, contributes to the economy of Ontario and has a house in Ontario, I can't understand why she would not have access to Ontario Medicare. She is established in Ontario but works for a business outside Ontario, in Canada, not in another country. Thanks in advance for any tips/advice.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello, hope I am in the right section. I was not quite sure where to post. I have an employee who has submitted her PR application a while ago and she is still waiting for a response. This being said, she has the right to work in Canada and she has a work permit. She currently has a full time job and resides in Ontario. Her employer is located in another Canadian province and she is teleworking like thousands of other people in Canada. This being said, since she is not working for an Ontario business or I should say a business who has an address in Ontario, she cannot benefit the Ontario Medicare Program AND since she does not reside in the province of her employer, she cannot access the Medicare Program of that province, so she is left out without any health care. She has been several times to Service Ontario explaining that her employer is not in Ontario but in another province and that she is teleworking but they would not accept that, their rules/policies say that her employer must have an address in Ontario. I, as her manager, am trying to find a solution as it is a very stressfull situation for her and her family. Any ideas or suggestions of things we can do in this case? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I would love to remove that stress off her shoulders and since she lives in Ontario, contributes to the economy of Ontario and has a house in Ontario, I can't understand why she would not have access to Ontario Medicare. She is established in Ontario but works for a business outside Ontario, in Canada, not in another country. Thanks in advance for any tips/advice.
Living in Ontario is not enough. She is not eligible for OHIP as per requirements:

Are in Ontario on a valid work permit and are working full-time in Ontario, for an Ontario employer, for at least six months

Once she is PR she can apply for OHIP. No point in going to Service Ontario because it isn’t going to change the requirements. If her office is in another province, then her taxes are being deducted from that province, not from Ontario. She is not paying taxes directly to Ontario so not eligible for OHIP.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card#section-2

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I saw you posted the same question last year. I wondered why you don't consider to get a company open in Ontario and find a solution?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As someone with a WP she should also be working in the location specified on her WP. WP holders are not generally allowed to telecommute or they could work from their home country. She needs to be working in the location specified on her WP and at that point she should qualify for healthcare in that province.

Reactions: Taran D

Bibiche

Star Member
Sep 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2012
AOR Received.
26-11-2012
File Transfer...
21-02-2013
Med's Done....
27-08-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
16-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-05-2013
LANDED..........
very soon!!
As someone with a WP she should also be working in the location specified on her WP. WP holders are not generally allowed to telecommute or they could work from their home country. She needs to be working in the location specified on her WP and at that point she should qualify for healthcare in that province.
Thanks for your reply. I'll look into that.