+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP waiting period waived for PR

JamesBarnes

Star Member
Oct 15, 2018
Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing as well as you can be during these events!

Has anyone been able to apply for OHIP? I know the 3 month waiting period has been waived and, before all this happened, I called Service Ontario and they said you only need AIP to apply.

We have AIP and DM and wondering where to go from here to apply. We live in Ottawa and all Service Ontario centers are currently closed and it states online that you need to take a completed form to a SO centre.

So it looks like we can’t apply for OHIP in that case? Tried calling but unsurprisingly noboby’s answering the phones.

Has anyone recently been able to apply? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks and stay safe!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Normally you can apply for OHIP and start the wait period at AIP.. We haven’t seen if people are able to OHIP right away without the waiting period at the AIP stage. Please let us know what happens.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing as well as you can be during these events!

Has anyone been able to apply for OHIP? I know the 3 month waiting period has been waived and, before all this happened, I called Service Ontario and they said you only need AIP to apply.

We have AIP and DM and wondering where to go from here to apply. We live in Ottawa and all Service Ontario centers are currently closed and it states online that you need to take a completed form to a SO centre.

So it looks like we can’t apply for OHIP in that case? Tried calling but unsurprisingly noboby’s answering the phones.

Has anyone recently been able to apply? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks and stay safe!
They aren't all closed.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/serviceontario-centre-closures

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
As per this link:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card#section-3

Ontario is waiving the three-month waiting period for Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage. We will also cover the cost of COVID-19 services if you are uninsured and do not meet the criteria for OHIP coverage.

If you applied for OHIP before March 19, 2020 and are currently in the three-month waiting period, your coverage started on March 19. If you need to seek medical treatment, call the ServiceOntario InfoLine at 1-866-532-3161 to have your OHIP effective date adjusted and a health card issued.

If you are self-isolating and cannot go to ServiceOntario to register for coverage, please contact ServiceOntario INFOline at 1-866-532-3161. INFOline staff will advise on next steps as appropriate. You will be registered for immediate OHIP coverage and provided with a transaction record to use to demonstrate your eligibility for OHIP until your health card arrives in the mail.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Before people get too excited it is very hard to get to see a doctors these days especially as a new patients. Many doctors and hospitals are just making sure the status quo continues and that people have enough refills until they can see them in person for their actually appointments. Lots of surgeries and procedures being cancelled unless the most urgent of urgent. Ontario was essentially trying to prevent any covid patient from seeking care because of fear of the expense and spreading it to others. The medical system is not functioning like it normally does.

pankajn

May 28, 2019
Hi Folks,

I have confusion regarding the 3-months waiting period waiver for OHIP. Does the Ontario government waive off a 3-months waiting period for OHIP for only those who are returning as Canadian citizens from abroad or it also waives of a recently landed permanent resident or upcoming PRs in the next few months? I could not get clarity regarding 3-months waiting period waiver for PR by going through the webpage: https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card#section-1

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
It is waived for new PR's as well. Unfortunately on their site they just added the new paragraph about it being waived. They left in the normal requirements without Covid being here, hence the confusing language.

vermas

Champion Member
Jan 12, 2010
NOC Code......
NA
App. Filed.......
eAPR/AOR 13-08-2018
Has any new PR has applied for the card during Covid19 and got it? Pls share experience.

m.ford

Star Member
May 5, 2020
Hamilton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
15-11-2019
File Transfer...
06-12-2019
Med's Request
05-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
Passport Req..
26-08-2020
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2020
LANDED..........
09-05-2020
Landed in Ontario in May having valid visitor visa as my application is still in process (outland; applied on 18-Oct-2019). As far as I understand I can apply for OHIP. Has anyone in the same circumstances managed to obtain OHIP?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Landed in Ontario in May having valid visitor visa as my application is still in process (outland; applied on 18-Oct-2019). As far as I understand I can apply for OHIP. Has anyone in the same circumstances managed to obtain OHIP?
Unless you have AIP you don’t qualify for OHIP. Given your timeline you likely have to purchase private insurance.

Reactions: jddd

m.ford

Star Member
May 5, 2020
Hamilton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
15-11-2019
File Transfer...
06-12-2019
Med's Request
05-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
Passport Req..
26-08-2020
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2020
LANDED..........
09-05-2020
Unless you have AIP you don’t qualify for OHIP. Given your timeline you likely have to purchase private insurance.
what is AIP? How to get it?
I have had my med test and fingerprints taken, sponsorship has also been approved. Since then docs have been transferred from Sydney to Warsaw, the second AoR has also been received.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
what is AIP? How to get it?
I have had my med test and fingerprints taken, sponsorship has also been approved. Since then docs have been transferred from Sydney to Warsaw, the second AoR has also been received
AIP is for inland applicants. As an outland applicant, you don't qualify for OHIP until you actually land as a PR.