+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP waiting period after Bridged open work permit approved?

knyman

May 28, 2018
Hi everyone,
I am trying to determine if there is a waiting period for OHIP after my application for a OWP has been approved. I am also trying to figure out if OHIP reimburses expenses incurred while under implied status. Here is my specific situation:

I have been living in Toronto with my husband (who is a Canadian citizen) since July of 2017. I was on a IEC work permit from May 2017-May 2018. I have been working a full time job with the same company since I moved here in July. My work permit and OHIP expired on May 11, we applied for spousal sponsored permanent residency on March 20th, as well as submitting an application for a bridged open work permit at the same time. I am currently pregnant and due June 24th, I have already been rejected for OHIP renewal based on my lack of a work permit or approval in principle on my permanent residency application and have since sent off a challenge of that decision. Currently I am hoping that my open work permit is approved or I receive approval in principle before my due date.

So with all that information my questions are these:

1. If I do receive my open work permit or approval in principle is there a waiting period for OHIP?

2. If I don't receive either and have to pay for all expenses out of pocket is there any evidence or precedence or information of OHIP reimbursing the expenses incurred during this time of implied status?

I would like to call a government agency to ask them these questions, but I'm not sure who to call, I don't think OHIP employees necessarily have the immigration knowledge required to answer to this question and I don't know who else to contact.

Thanks in advance,
Krista

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Very confused... You are supposed to provide your own health insurance for IEC you don't qualify for OHIP.

Unfortunately there will always be a 3 month waiting period for OHIP.

Last edited:

knyman

May 28, 2018
I know I applied for a work permit as a person who was a student in the year prior and came to Canada and worked a normal and qualified for OHIP and had it up until May 11. So once my new work permit comes in it is an OHIP health card renewal, is there still a 3 month wait period for renewals?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes there is still a wait period. Were you a Canadian student? Then you would have applied for a PGWP. For the IEC program young people 30 and under are required to pay their own insurance.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,
I am trying to determine if there is a waiting period for OHIP after my application for a OWP has been approved. I am also trying to figure out if OHIP reimburses expenses incurred while under implied status. Here is my specific situation:

I have been living in Toronto with my husband (who is a Canadian citizen) since July of 2017. I was on a IEC work permit from May 2017-May 2018. I have been working a full time job with the same company since I moved here in July. My work permit and OHIP expired on May 11, we applied for spousal sponsored permanent residency on March 20th, as well as submitting an application for a bridged open work permit at the same time. I am currently pregnant and due June 24th, I have already been rejected for OHIP renewal based on my lack of a work permit or approval in principle on my permanent residency application and have since sent off a challenge of that decision. Currently I am hoping that my open work permit is approved or I receive approval in principle before my due date.

So with all that information my questions are these:

1. If I do receive my open work permit or approval in principle is there a waiting period for OHIP?

2. If I don't receive either and have to pay for all expenses out of pocket is there any evidence or precedence or information of OHIP reimbursing the expenses incurred during this time of implied status?

I would like to call a government agency to ask them these questions, but I'm not sure who to call, I don't think OHIP employees necessarily have the immigration knowledge required to answer to this question and I don't know who else to contact.

Thanks in advance,
Krista
Hi

Unless OHIP accepts your challenge and grants you coverage (which is unlikely, since you really don't qualify), you will not have coverage in time for the birth and you will not be reimbursed for costs.