+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP residency requirement first 183 days

shannon388

Dec 15, 2017
Hi, I moved from Quebec to Ontario on Jan 1 2018. My RAMQ card expired on Dec 31 2017 (I was on work permit). My residence in Ontario started on Jan 1 2018, and the OHIP will kick in on April 1.

I am unsure if I am subject to the requirement of 153 out of 183 days after immediately settling in Ontario:

"The person must be in Ontario for at least 153 of the first 183 days after becoming a resident, except for,

i. a person who has moved to Ontario directly from another province or territory of Canada where he or she was insured under a publicly funded health care insurance plan,"

Do I fall under this category? I had RAMQ coverage to the day immediately before I established residency in Ontario, but I am still a bit unsure.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi, I moved from Quebec to Ontario on Jan 1 2018. My RAMQ card expired on Dec 31 2017 (I was on work permit). My residence in Ontario started on Jan 1 2018, and the OHIP will kick in on April 1.

I am unsure if I am subject to the requirement of 153 out of 183 days after immediately settling in Ontario:

"The person must be in Ontario for at least 153 of the first 183 days after becoming a resident, except for,

i. a person who has moved to Ontario directly from another province or territory of Canada where he or she was insured under a publicly funded health care insurance plan,"

Do I fall under this category? I had RAMQ coverage to the day immediately before I established residency in Ontario, but I am still a bit unsure.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
If your RAMQ ended Dec 31, and you moved to Ontario Jan 1, then you were not insured under another province's policy when you arrived.

So I would expect the 153 in first 183 days rule will apply.

shannon388

Dec 15, 2017
^^Many thanks for the reply^^

So I will stay for 153/183 days first. Have another question: is it required to prove physical presence, and how? (I read Ontario Health Reg 552 quite in details, but could not find any document list to prove physical presence - there is only a list of documents for proof of residency -- would highly welcome such a list)

I have lease agreement, letter of employment (my full time job in in Ontario), pay stubs, etc. but none of these can say 100% that I was *physically* in Ontario all the time... no border check between provinces, I could take a weekend ride to other provinces, stay with friends, never swipe my credit card, and come back on Monday. Actually, I am unsure how to prove I stayed in Ontario if I stay in my home (in Ontario) for 2 days (I rarely get out on weekends, so removing all Saturdays and Sundays will have me never satisfying the 153/183 physical presence requirement....)
Apologies for being paranoid, just want to err on the safe side after dealing with the "the burden of proof is on the applicant" attitude of IRCC.

Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

So I will stay for 153/183 days first. Have another question: is it required to prove physical presence, and how? (I read Ontario Health Reg 552 quite in details, but could not find any document list to prove physical presence - there is only a list of documents for proof of residency -- would highly welcome such a list)

I have lease agreement, letter of employment (my full time job in in Ontario), pay stubs, etc. but none of these can say 100% that I was *physically* in Ontario all the time... no border check between provinces, I could take a weekend ride to other provinces, stay with friends, never swipe my credit card, and come back on Monday. Actually, I am unsure how to prove I stayed in Ontario if I stay in my home (in Ontario) for 2 days (I rarely get out on weekends, so removing all Saturdays and Sundays will have me never satisfying the 153/183 physical presence requirement....)
Apologies for being paranoid, just want to err on the safe side after dealing with the "the burden of proof is on the applicant" attitude of IRCC.

Thanks!
You don't need to prove your physical presence for OHIP. They generally operate on an honesty basis, i.e. people need to report any absences that may affect their eligibility. This is how so many dishonest people defraud the system. The only time you would need to prove your presence is if OHIP was investigating you for fraud.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

Thanks!
You can try simply going to an OHIP office the same day you arrive in Ontario. See if you can get some letter from them (even if a rejection of OHIP on that specific day), or if they can log something in their system, that shows you were physically there so obviously in Ontario.