+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP Residency Documents

clearly

Star Member
Jul 12, 2013
Alright, so I went the first time to Service Ontario to get OHIP and was told that my Hydro bill couldn't be accepted because it was dated before I landed. Makes sense, because I wasn't a resident at the time.

Now I go back to Service Ontario and they tell me that they won't accept the hydro bill because it's in my husband's name primarily and I was just added onto it, and the service wasn't setup after I landed. She said it didn't prove anything about residency. It didn't help at all that I had my temporary driver's license with me since I had exchanged it. She could not accept it. She said though that I can come back when my driver's license comes in, and it won't affect my date of coverage.

That being said, what if I didn't have a driver's license? What are people supposed to do? Are they *required* to get a photo ID from service ontario? All of our bills are in my husband's name and not mine, and all I can do is get my name added to them, which apparently they won't accept.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
clearly said:
Alright, so I went the first time to Service Ontario to get OHIP and was told that my Hydro bill couldn't be accepted because it was dated before I landed. Makes sense, because I wasn't a resident at the time.

Now I go back to Service Ontario and they tell me that they won't accept the hydro bill because it's in my husband's name primarily and I was just added onto it, and the service wasn't setup after I landed. She said it didn't prove anything about residency. It didn't help at all that I had my temporary driver's license with me since I had exchanged it. She could not accept it. She said though that I can come back when my driver's license comes in, and it won't affect my date of coverage.

That being said, what if I didn't have a driver's license? What are people supposed to do? Are they *required* to get a photo ID from service ontario? All of our bills are in my husband's name and not mine, and all I can do is get my name added to them, which apparently they won't accept.
Download and read this - http://WWW.FORMS.SSB.GOV.ON.CA/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/AttachDownload?openagent&TM=5_5_2014_2_40_07_AM&ENV=WWE&NO=014-9998E-82&SEQ=1&VER=11 (It comes from http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/FormDetail?openform&ENV=WWE&NO=014-9998E-82)

clearly

Star Member
Jul 12, 2013
zardoz said:
Download and read this - http://WWW.FORMS.SSB.GOV.ON.CA/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/AttachDownload?openagent&TM=5_5_2014_2_40_07_AM&ENV=WWE&NO=014-9998E-82&SEQ=1&VER=11 (It comes from http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/FormDetail?openform&ENV=WWE&NO=014-9998E-82)
I used that list, but it seems like they wouldn't accept any of those documents if they had my husband's name on them and I was only added as a secondary user..

Matt the Aussie

Mar 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-07-2013
Med's Request
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
18-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-03-2014
LANDED..........
11-04-2014
Your foreign passport is proof of your identity and your CoPR/PR card is proof of your immigration status.

For proof of residency (your residential address), if you don't have a driver's license they will want to see something where you are the primary name. It does specifically say on there that your temporary driver's license must be accompanied by your previous (expired) photo driver's license.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
Matt the Aussie said:
Your foreign passport is proof of your identity and your CoPR/PR card is proof of your immigration status.

For proof of residency (your residential address), if you don't have a driver's license they will want to see something where you are the primary name. It does specifically say on there that your temporary driver's license must be accompanied by your previous (expired) photo driver's license.
Which is not really possible if you do an exchange as DriveTest takes your prior license, LOL

I don't remember what I used for proof of residence when I was in Ontario but it was either my newly exchanged G-license, or Rogers bill.

Matt the Aussie

Mar 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-07-2013
Med's Request
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
18-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-03-2014
LANDED..........
11-04-2014
Bargeld said:
Which is not really possible if you do an exchange as DriveTest takes your prior license, LOL

I don't remember what I used for proof of residence when I was in Ontario but it was either my newly exchanged G-license, or Rogers bill.
Well sure, if that is the case you wouldn't be able to use that - just pointing out that you need the old one for that to work.