+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP requiments? Please Help!

cxu19

Feb 3, 2023
Hi,

I am a valid Canadian PR and left Canada on Mar.13th, 2021 for some family issues, and was not able to return to Canada because of Covid-19, now that I am planning to come back to Canada on Feb.11th, 2023, which is next week. I still hold a OHIP card that states expired date till Aug.2024.

My question:

1. Am I covered by OHIP from the first day I enter Ontario, which is Feb.11th, 2023? (it seems that the 90 days waiting period has been waived)

2. From the requirements it states:
  • be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary residence
I don't understand the difference between 1 and 2, If I've already stayed in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days, that already qualifies requirement 1 right? So why is it necessary to state that I must be in Ontario for 153 days in any 12-month period? Or am I not understanding correctly?

3. If I have used OHIP between Feb.11th - Jul.14th (continuous 153 days), and must leave Canada for other reasons after Jul. 14th (my family are all out of the country), would that cause any bills mailed to me?

4. How do I prove that Ontario is my primary residence if I had been away for almost 2 years? I still have my valid PR, bank account, credit cards, DL, and PAL etc... Do these prove my residence?

5. Do I need to walk into a ServiceOntario centre to activate my OHIP again once I enter Canada? (just to mention again the expiry date on my OHIP card is till Aug. 2024, but I have been out of the country for almost 2 years, not fully 2 years but almost).

Thanks for your help!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I am a valid Canadian PR and left Canada on Mar.13th, 2021 for some family issues, and was not able to return to Canada because of Covid-19, now that I am planning to come back to Canada on Feb.11th, 2023, which is next week. I still hold a OHIP card that states expired date till Aug.2024.

My question:

1. Am I covered by OHIP from the first day I enter Ontario, which is Feb.11th, 2023? (it seems that the 90 days waiting period has been waived)

2. From the requirements it states:
  • be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary residence
I don't understand the difference between 1 and 2, If I've already stayed in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days, that already qualifies requirement 1 right? So why is it necessary to state that I must be in Ontario for 153 days in any 12-month period? Or am I not understanding correctly?

3. If I have used OHIP between Feb.11th - Jul.14th (continuous 153 days), and must leave Canada for other reasons after Jul. 14th (my family are all out of the country), would that cause any bills mailed to me?

4. How do I prove that Ontario is my primary residence if I had been away for almost 2 years? I still have my valid PR, bank account, credit cards, DL, and PAL etc... Do these prove my residence?

5. Do I need to walk into a ServiceOntario centre to activate my OHIP again once I enter Canada? (just to mention again the expiry date on my OHIP card is till Aug. 2024, but I have been out of the country for almost 2 years, not fully 2 years but almost).

Thanks for your help!
A valid OHIP card does not mean you qualify for OHIP. You also must meet the residency requirements. How long were you in Ontario before leaving? Do you anticipate leaving Ontario in the first 6 months of returning and for how long? If you do leave how long will you be outside Ontario again? You also have to consider your RO for PR. When did you land for PR? When did you originally get your OHIP card? August 2019 or did you have OHIP before then?