+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP Renewal (expired since 2011)

anniezjw

Mar 8, 2013
Hi Leon,

I would like to follow this topic to ask you question related with my husband's health card.

My husband is out of Canada now and his health card will expire in this July. But he is not available to be back Ontario until this September because healthy reason.

When he is going to renew health card in September, is there 3 months waiting period? Does it affect his medical treatment using OHIP?

Thanks advanced.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He should be clear with OHIP on how long he was outside Canada. If they find that he lost his OHIP for being away for too long, he will have to do the 3 month waiting period again. He will not be covered during those 3 months.

anniezjw

Mar 8, 2013
Leon said:
He should be clear with OHIP on how long he was outside Canada. If they find that he lost his OHIP for being away for too long, he will have to do the 3 month waiting period again. He will not be covered during those 3 months.
Thanks Leon, he left in Feb 2012, until Sep 2013, it should be 19 months. Do you think if it's too long that would lose his OHIP?
His health card is valid until this July 2013.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He should normally have to be residing in Ontario at least 6 months a year in order to keep his OHIP but sometimes they make exceptions. He has to talk to them when he is back.

Beachbikeman

Feb 12, 2018
Leon, I have a power of attorney over my wife. She is too ill to get to the Service Ontario desk. Her OHIP expires soon. Can I get it for her if I take a countersigned passport photo of her to the desk?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon, I have a power of attorney over my wife. She is too ill to get to the Service Ontario desk. Her OHIP expires soon. Can I get it for her if I take a countersigned passport photo of her to the desk?
Sure, but whether this would work is another question.

ady sawhney

Jul 1, 2017
My Grandparents are Canadian Citizen but they are living in India , for past 2 years. My Grandmother is now suffering from chronic disease and we are planning to take her to Canada for treatment. My question is will OHIP work for her? Please guide me.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My Grandparents are Canadian Citizen but they are living in India , for past 2 years. My Grandmother is now suffering from chronic disease and we are planning to take her to Canada for treatment. My question is will OHIP work for her? Please guide me.
There will be a 3 month waiting period when she comes to Canada. She will be covered after that, provided she meets the residency requirements.