+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP questions

Cherry1392

Nov 8, 2019
Hi i have a question about OHIP.
I have a full time job right now which is started from July,2019. I asked my employer to give me the Employment letter to apply for OHIP and he gave it to me already. However i will quit this job after this month( November) . So total time i have worked there is 5 months.
I intend to apply for OHIP next Monday because i just received open work permit yesterday and i try to apply it before i leave my job. but i wonder that if they contact to my employer to identify the information in the Employment letter or not. Because my realtionship between the boss and me is not good so i think he is not gonna tell them that i worked for him 6 months already.
Does anybody know about this, please answer me. Thank you

Cherry1392

Nov 8, 2019
The employment letter just requires that the employer intends to hire employee for minimum 6 months, it doesn’t mean that you have to work 6 months before apply for OHIP

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are committing healthcare fraud if you are applying for healthcare while knowing that you will not be working for over 6 months.

Cherry1392

Nov 8, 2019
Can i ask 1 more question? Do i need to apply for the OHIP ưithin 90 days after receiving the Open work permit? I have researched but the information about that comes from online law or article pages, not from goverment page and they said that the goverment just changed it from 2017. However i couldn’t find any information from any official page

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can i ask 1 more question? Do i need to apply for the OHIP ưithin 90 days after receiving the Open work permit? I have researched but the information about that comes from online law or article pages, not from goverment page and they said that the goverment just changed it from 2017. However i couldn’t find any information from any official page
You don’t need to do anything. Most do apply within the first 90 days if they have a job or are a PR. They want to make sure they secure health coverage as fast as possible.