+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP QUESTION

Ravoles

Jan 29, 2017
Hello,

My wife (Canadian) sponsored me (American) in the end of November, 2016 for the inland spousal PR. I finally received my open work permit :) a couple of days ago. I see that I can apply for my SIN at Service Canada...

BUT, for my OHIP, do I need to be already employed for SIX months full time? Or a letter from my employer that I will be employed for at least six months? It says both on Service Canada.

Thanks,

Ravoles

Ravoles

Jan 29, 2017
Or, I am looking, I could also apply under ''you have submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada, and Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada.''

So even if I am still waiting for the PR, I could still apply?

Ravoles

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
As far as I can tell considering your case, to be eligible for OHIP, apart from establishing residency and physically being in Ontario for a number of days required, you just must have submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada, and CIC has confirmed that you are eligible to receive PR.

I have also found that if "you are a foreign worker who holds a valid work permit or other document issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) permitting you to work in Canada, and you also have a formal agreement in place to work full-time for an employer situated in Ontario which sets out the employer's name, your occupation, and confirmation that you will be working for no less than six consecutive months;" - source

Looks like you do not necessarily have to have been employed for 6 months, but your current employment must be no less than 6 months from the time you apply for OHIP.

In any case, your best bet is to give them a call and ask someone in the office.

Also, once you've applied for OHIP, you will still have to wait for about 3 months before it kicks in. During that time you can get a private insurance policy to cover the costs for medical emergency treatment.

You can take a look at some of the available options here - Private Insurance

Last edited: