AOR Received.
17-11-2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
15-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
18-01-2010
I have not received an answer to this health-related question on the health forum so I will try here...what would you recommend for a woman who is pregnant (Canadian citizen) and has been out of Canada for over a year? What does private insurance run over the 3 month waiting period (which may coincide with her due date...gulp)?

Thanks for the advice.
Signed,

Worried husband

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
One option would be not going to Ontario, instead go to a province where you get 1st day coverage or at least an exception for pregnancy related expenses. I believe Manitoba and Quebec both give exceptions for pregnant women and Alberta has 1st day coverage and I think Saskatchewan does as well.

Juche

Star Member
May 28, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-10-2009
AOR Received.
17-11-2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
15-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
18-01-2010
Unfortunately this is not an option as we have family in Ontario who will help us settle in, in the other provinces we have no one to help us get settled. The only thing we can think of is to birth the wee one here in Europe where we still have some kind of coverage and drag him along when after its born, but that presents a whole other list of challenges...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think this guy: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/bc-health-insurance-t13978.0.html;msg95300#msg95300 had said he was some kind of insurance agent. Although his profile says he's in BC, you could contact him and ask if he can help you. Otherwise, you can locate other insurance brokers or at worst, bear the 3 months of expenses yourself until you get covered.

minx83

Sep 2, 2009
Tillsonburg, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would check around your area for clinics until your OHIP kicks in. There are services available without cost to those without OHIP. I know in my area of London, ON we have one anyway. lihc.on.ca/medical_clinic

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
minx83 said:
I would check around your area for clinics until your OHIP kicks in. There are services available without cost to those without OHIP. I know in my area of London, ON we have one anyway. lihc.on.ca/medical_clinic
it's quite costly for the ones who are without OHIP, the delivery can cost up to 5000. though the baby will be covered right from the 1st day.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
Leon said:
One option would be not going to Ontario, instead go to a province where you get 1st day coverage or at least an exception for pregnancy related expenses. I believe Manitoba and Quebec both give exceptions for pregnant women and Alberta has 1st day coverage and I think Saskatchewan does as well.
we already have applied for OHIP in Ontario, if we move to Alberta close to delivery, is there any chance to have a local health insurance there?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Maybe. Alberta covers you from the first day if you are moving from another country. If you are moving from Ontario, you are not moving from another country.

However, they might see it as you having moved indirectly from another country if you don't have OHIP yet as usually people moving from Ontario will have OHIP and will wait their 3 months for Alberta health while they are still covered under OHIP.

You would have to ask AB health. You can find them at http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/contact-AHCIP.html

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
thank you for your answer, Leon. appreciated a lot.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should also consider using a midwife, which could be much cheaper than paying for medical services yourself. And many women actually prefer seeing a midwife vs. an MD or OB-GYN because of the more personal service. In Ontario, midwives are covered by OHIP, but many will be able to see you with no OHIP and negotiate a price for you. You could also consider a community health centre. You can find details about both options here: http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4001260

The Littlest Hobo

Star Member
Nov 13, 2009
Switzerland
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2009
File Transfer...
7-12-2009
Passport Req..
18-12-2009
VISA ISSUED...
3-02-2010
LANDED..........
20-03-2010
This might sound dumb but.... couldn't your wife come back a bit earlier so that she would be insured under OHIP for the birth (if the lttlle guy shows up on time...).

I assume your wife wasn't out of Ontario/Canada for studies or other circumstances in which OHIP still covers her and there is no waiting period after her return? (or perhaps your wife forgot to inform OHIP that she was leaving in the first place, in which case her card might still be valid!!!! did she pay any taxes in Canada?)

Did you call OHIP to ensure that childbirth wouldn't be covered anyways? If the other provinces have special rules, it would be worth making absolutely sure.

Also, depending where s/he is born she might get citizenship rights more or less easily later on in life, or she may have to get proof of Canadian citizenship in order to come into canada... which might not be so quick from what I read from some other posts on here...

Well, all very tricky but congrats anyways on expecting a new little baby! That's great news, best of luck!
TLH

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The Littlest Hobo said:
This might sound dumb but.... couldn't your wife come back a bit earlier so that she would be insured under OHIP for the birth (if the lttlle guy shows up on time...).
That's not dumb at all. That's a great idea. Sometimes the obvious escapes us! :)

You can find info. about your eligibility for OHIP when you have left the country here: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/ohipfaq_dt.aspx#2 Wow, I had no idea OHIP was so lenient with extended absences from Ontario. It sounds like you may still be covered, depending on how long she was in Ontario prior to leaving. Definitely worth checking into!

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
ariell said:
You should also consider using a midwife, which could be much cheaper than paying for medical services yourself. And many women actually prefer seeing a midwife vs. an MD or OB-GYN because of the more personal service. In Ontario, midwives are covered by OHIP, but many will be able to see you with no OHIP and negotiate a price for you. You could also consider a community health centre. You can find details about both options here: http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4001260
will they cover delivery expenses too? is their service totally free or they charge at the end after the baby is born?

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Suin said:
will they cover delivery expenses too? is their service totally free or they charge at the end after the baby is born?
If you have OHIP, then all services provided by a midwife are covered by OHIP, including delivery expenses. You can either choose to see a doctor or a midwife, not both since they are both considered primary care providers so you have to pick one or the other. OHIP doesn't allow you to duplicate services. But having said that, if there is something that happens during your care that's outside the scope of practice of a midwife, they'll refer you on to a doctor.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
ariell said:
If you have OHIP, then all services provided by a midwife are covered by OHIP, including delivery expenses. You can either choose to see a doctor or a midwife, not both since they are both considered primary care providers so you have to pick one or the other. OHIP doesn't allow you to duplicate services. But having said that, if there is something that happens during your care that's outside the scope of practice of a midwife, they'll refer you on to a doctor.
thank you for your answer, ariell. and if there's no OHIP yet - will we havr to pay them at the end?