+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP Queries

michibong

May 5, 2018
We received PR in June 2018 and made first landing in same month. In October we opened bank account with Canada address. Now from March 2019 my wife is working in Toronto and I will start from May. We got an apartment from May 1. My questions are:

1. Earliest when can we apply for OHIP?
2. What all documents we need to show?
3. From when OHIP will kick in?
4. Both of us have employer provided insurance, will that be good to cover untill OHIP is active?

Sorry some of these questions might be silly but I am confused about the residency requirement. Thank you in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We received PR in June 2018 and made first landing in same month. In October we opened bank account with Canada address. Now from March 2019 my wife is working in Toronto and I will start from May. We got an apartment from May 1. My questions are:

1. Earliest when can we apply for OHIP?
2. What all documents we need to show?
3. From when OHIP will kick in?
4. Both of us have employer provided insurance, will that be good to cover untill OHIP is active?

Sorry some of these questions might be silly but I am confused about the residency requirement. Thank you in advance.
1. You can apply anyrime after you have permanently settled in Toronto and will meet the OHIP residency requirement. Please read information on OHIP website
2. Read the website but lease PR card, proof of the date you landed in Ontario permanently.
3. 3 months from when you land permanently.
4. No. You should get private medical insurance to cover emergency. The extended benefits usually require you to have OHIP and cover very precise things. See your HR department and read your extended benefit pamphlet.

Would encourage you to read through all the pages on the OHIP website multiple times then ask if you have questions. First thing to do is to try to find family doctors accepting new patients. Canada real has 70% Medicare and wait times are something you have to expect.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Regarding #4. Please check with your HR. I was on work permit once and my employer's sponsored health insurance provided same coverage as provincial health coverage during waiting period.

Reactions: kprs_ind