Jan 8, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
20-04-2017
Hi All,

My wife and I (both PR) are considering moving to Canada soon while the 3 months waiver for OHIP is still active.
My wife is currently 9 weeks pregnant , but we wonder what does OHIP cover for her treatment in order to compare it to what we get in our home country (Israel).
I'm trying to find it on the OHIP site but I can't find anything, so does anyone know about the OHIP coverage for the following procedures:

1) Delivery in a hospital;
2) Ambulance to the hospital for delivery (if required);
3) Routine blood and urine tests (how many are covered? each month? more?);
4) Amniocentesis;
5) Glucose Challenge Test (diabetes);
6) Fetal Cardiac Echo Ultrasound Scan;
7) Third Trimester Ultrasound Scan;
8) Post Due Date Antenatal Care;
9) Alpha-fetoprotein test;
10) Chorionic Villus Sampling (CVS);
11) Late anatomy scan.

Also, would you recommend purchasing insurance in addition to the OHIP one?

Thanks a lot!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,

My wife and I (both PR) are considering moving to Canada soon while the 3 months waiver for OHIP is still active.
My wife is currently 9 weeks pregnant , but we wonder what does OHIP cover for her treatment in order to compare it to what we get in our home country (Israel).
I'm trying to find it on the OHIP site but I can't find anything, so does anyone know about the OHIP coverage for the following procedures:

1) Delivery in a hospital;
2) Ambulance to the hospital for delivery (if required);
3) Routine blood and urine tests (how many are covered? each month? more?);
4) Amniocentesis;
5) Glucose Challenge Test (diabetes);
6) Fetal Cardiac Echo Ultrasound Scan;
7) Third Trimester Ultrasound Scan;
8) Post Due Date Antenatal Care;
9) Alpha-fetoprotein test;
10) Chorionic Villus Sampling (CVS);
11) Late anatomy scan.

Also, would you recommend purchasing insurance in addition to the OHIP one?

Thanks a lot!
1. Yes
2. Ambulance is not covered. You will have to pay but the fee is subsidized.
3. Yes. Urine tests are done at each in person appointment. Many appointments are virtual at the moment. Very few blood tests are needed in a routine pregnancy. They are covered if necessary.
4. Only required in a minority of pregnancies but yes it is covered
5. yes it is covered.
6. Only done If abnormalities are found during the anatomy scan or you have a family history of genetic heart abnormalities
7. Not usually done unless there are concerns about the baby or pregnancy
8. Not sure what you are referencing. Pregnant women get care even if they pass their due date. In Canada doctors usually will not let you go past 41 weeks where as other countries allow you do go you to 42 weeks before they induce you. Care is always dependent on your situation.
9. Don’t believe this is part of routine care but may be done.
10. No unless there is a medical need and if it an appropriate option.
11. Only if there is a suspected or identified problem

Medications out of hospital are not covered. Purchasing additional private insurance usually provides little coverage or a high deductible. Private recovery rooms are usually not covered. Semi-private is standard in many hospitals. You can pay to upgrade. Some newer hospitals only have private rooms. The hospital you delivery at is based on where your OB or midwife has privileges. The best extended benefits programs are received through employers. Not all jobs and employers offer these extended health benefits and you do have to pay into them monthly.

As PRs you must sponsor a child while in Canada and be compliant with your RO. Currently taking closer to a year due to covid but usually 5-11 months. This may influence your decision.