+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP / PR Applicant.

mike93

Star Member
Apr 16, 2019
Hey everyone,

I've recently received Acknowledgement of receipt of APR from IRCC (IMM 5794). I've also found out that it's possible to apply for OHIP for PR Applicants (see below):

For applicants for permanent residence
  • Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) letter (IRCC used to be called Citizenship and Immigration Canada, or CIC). The letter must:
    • be on IRCC letterhead, addressed to you as applicant
    • state IRCC has confirmed you are eligible to apply for permanent residence in Canada
Has anyone obtained OHIP by providing the aforementioned letter from IRCC? If so, what was the letter's number (I assume IMM 5794)?

Thanks!

mike93

Star Member
Apr 16, 2019
To qualify you usually need to get a letter showing you have AIP. You can certainly try but AOR just means that your application has been received. What is your current status?
I sent all my docs to IRCC in early august, so my profile progress bar shows 22% of completion... I will say that I am at the early start :) could you please clarify what AIP?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I sent all my docs to IRCC in early august, so my profile progress bar shows 22% of completion... I will say that I am at the early start :) could you please clarify what AIP?
The progress bar is just a visual representation of estimated normal processing times and doesn’t indicate the progress of your actual case. AIP (approval in principle) is essentially the last stage so usually a month or two before your get COPR. You likely have around a year before you qualify to apply for OHIP. Are you on TRV? If you get OWP and get a job that will last for over 6 months you also qualify to apply for OHIP.

Reactions: mashulia_26

mike93

Star Member
Apr 16, 2019
The progress bar is just a visual representation of estimated normal processing times and doesn’t indicate the progress of your actual case. AIP (approval in principle) is essentially the last stage so usually a month or two before your get COPR. You likely have around a year before you qualify to apply for OHIP. Are you on TRV? If you get OWP and get a job that will last for over 6 months you also qualify to apply for OHIP.
I am on OWP, waiting for the paper. However, I heard that it may take up to 6 weeks, so I was looking for other options to obtain OHIP... I will try to apply with APR and let you know how it goes. Thank you a lot!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am on OWP, waiting for the paper. However, I heard that it may take up to 6 weeks, so I was looking for other options to obtain OHIP... I will try to apply with APR and let you know how it goes. Thank you a lot!
You don't qualify with AOR. You will need proof that you have a job lasting over 6 months and your OWP to qualify for OHIP. Just OWP is not enough.

Beeakh

Star Member
Mar 3, 2021
Did you apply then? I am thinking of applying with AOR too. I called service Ontario and they said I could bring all documents but the final say is of the people at the center.

fooqs

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
Hello, I would just like to ask if the contract has to be valid for atleast more than 6 months in the future or I should have completed at least 6 months of said contract before i can apply for OHIP?
I have a work contract of 1 year which will change to month to month after the year is up in 2022. Have completed 5 months of the contract.
I am on PGWP (which is still valid for 2.5 years).
Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, I would just like to ask if the contract has to be valid for atleast more than 6 months in the future or I should have completed at least 6 months of said contract before i can apply for OHIP?
I have a work contract of 1 year which will change to month to month after the year is up in 2022. Have completed 5 months of the contract.
I am on PGWP (which is still valid for 2.5 years).
Thanks
You should have a contract that lasts more than 6 months from when you apply. You can apply from the date you start your job. You should apply now and not delay even if though you could have applied 5 months ago.